Model Cars Magazine Forum

Odd Duck C1000 Ford Phantom Build

So indulge me a bit on this one. Back in the 60's-80's Ford made the C600-900, then some time in the 60's or 70's Ford made the Two Story Falcon, a C series cab jacked up and made into a heavy duty Over the Road type truck. Well I got to thinking what if there was a "In-Between" truck that Ford made for more than the C900 could do, and less than the Falcon. 

It would be the C1000, a 1 1/2 story truck. The truth is I have a Revell Volvo truck that the cab is too ugly to even think about using, a box full of C series cabs and some left over wheels and tires from the Linberg L700 and an Italeri truck. 

The Volvo was a twin screw, but I thought it needed to be single so I re-worked the rear to fix that. The engine is the huge Volvo unit and was too large to have the cab sit like a C600 would, so it got lifted and the fenders skirted. The bumper was cut from the grill insert and the bumper will get dropped down. I filled in where the stock bumper would sit. 

So, this is really a parts box build brought on by the "Stay at Home" situation we are all in. It has been one of those builds where I dig though the parts box and see what I have, then attempt to attach it in a meaningful way. Very fluid build with the final outcome developing as it goes. 

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Nice project Scott, it remind me an old yard truck that was used in the late '70 to move the trailers in the yard of a company close to my home.  I recall myself climbing the side step to look inside the cab... great memories!  Good salvage sir, will be an interesting subject, I do love these old truck!

• 3 months later...

So this build is going slowly, but at least it is still moving. I have decided to do some weathering on it to give it a bit of an older well used look. I have just begun and so bare with me as I have a long way to go. I still need to do a lot to the chassis as I am working with a previously built chassis. More to come.

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg