Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adding Paint to a Diecast Kit

I have a pre-painted 1/25 scale diecast kit. I'd like to add a color to make it two-toned, like the 1:1's were painted. I don't know what type paint is on the body. It's white, and looks great. I would like to just paint over the white on the part that would be two-toned. Any ideas or suggestions?

No problem whatsoever. Just mask it off, prime it, and paint it. Might not be a bad idea to scuff the paint up a little with a fine ScotchBrite pad. 

The paint on every diecast I've Snake-Fu'ed (somewhere around 100 now) has been pretty tough stuff, and will stand up to handling, masking, polishing, or just about anything else you'd want to do do it. 

What exact diecast are you working on? Maybe I can give you some specific handy tips. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Snake, it's a Spec Cast 1957 Dodge pickup. It's painted in white, and I want to use either red, or yellow, or perhaps a blue to make it two tone, like I've seen on the Web.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Snake, it's a Spec Cast 1957 Dodge pickup. It's painted in white, and I want to use either red, or yellow, or perhaps a blue to make it two tone, like I've seen on the Web.

Get yourself some Testors enamel.Tape the truck off, wipe down where you will paint with a little enamel thinner or mineral spirits. Give it a light scuff and wipe down again and shoot your paint. Even in 1/1 we never re-primed for two tone. And your base paint is white, so blues, red or yellow should go fine over it. It's probably baked enamel or powder coat on there fwiw. You can test a little corner someplace to be sure the solvents don't eat it but I doubt they will.

Pre painted did cast models generally have their paint baked dry in processing ovens. Any stove enamelled finish as a result is very hard. Unless stripping back the whole body to bare metal the easiest way to do a two tone using the base colour of the model is mask off all the body where the original colour next to stay put. Use some Wet n Dry abrasive paper to key the areas you want to paint in the contrasting colour. Clean off all the residue from the rubbing them prime and paint the other colour. After it dries carefully remove the masking tape from the original colour to expose your new two tone paint job.

When masking though make sure that you use a good masking tape designed to avoid bleed undefneath

Edited by Bugatti Fan