Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Maverick Funny Car.... A real blast from my past

NitroMarty

Did you ever have a kit that you absolutely loved when you were a kid?

For me, that kit was Revell's  Maverick Funny Car.... I must have build 4 or 5 of them, back when I was around 12 or 13 years old.

For those not familiar, this was part of a somewhat generic series of funny cars, that also included a Camaro, and a Mustang coupe... 

RevellMaverickFunnyCar-vi.jpg

Well, a few years ago, I was waxing nostalgic about this long obsolete piece of my past, so I located a built glue bomb on eBay, with the intent of  revisiting an old friend...

However, upon closer inspection, I came to realize just how rough my purchase was...

Fortunately,  a generous fellow modeler stepped up and offered me a fresh, never glued, body and bumpers....

As luck would have it though, I kind of got caught up in other projects and the Maverick was put back in the kit closet for a few more years.

Finally, the day came that I decided to dig in and just start building.... It was at that time that I realized just what a TURD of a model kit my old childhood favorite was!!!! 

Anyway, rather than trying to salvage the chassis and running gear from my eBay glue bomb, I dug out  a reissue of the Camaro, (from the same series) that had been in my stash since the late 1990's.... In the end, the only parts that I ended up using from the eBay Maverick, were the interior tinwork and the windows....

IMG_4155-vi.jpg

Initially I tried to get the car done for the KKIM Fall Meet, in 2016, and I did.... I hated EVERYTHING about it.... Stance, paint / color, level of finish.... All sucked....

So, when I got home that evening, I blew the whole thing back apart and started over

I am MUCH happier with it now!!!!

Maverick2-vi.jpg

Maverick5-vi.jpg

Maverick4-vi.jpg

Maverick11-vi.jpg

Stance was greatly improved by sectioning the interior tin about 1/8" and moving it slightly forward....

Paint is Tamiya clear red over Tamiya gold base.... Wheels were dug out of my spare parts box... Tire are AMT parts pack items.... Deals are Slixx...

Maverick7-vi.jpg

A peek under the lifted body reveals the generic funny car chassis and (at best) sorta / kinda SOHC 427 Ford engine , that were shared by all three kits in the series...

A bit of ignition wiring and liberal use of various Metalizer paint do help the cause a bit.

Maverick12-vi.jpg

One last look, alongside one of my other childhood favorites (the real car), which I was finally able to add to my collection, thanks to the Model King and Whoopiecat decals.

Edited by NitroMarty

• 2 weeks later...

That’s got to be the best build of that kit I’ve ever seen!  Great work, I love the color and the decals just work on it. I love the Telstar Challenger also, I remember seeing that car run at Gateway International many years ago under the AHRA.......

Man that looks great!

I too built one back when it was new and found myself wanting one again a few years ago.

But after getting a real good look at the offerings on Ebay, I realized I really didn't like the look of that body. I quickly cooled on the idea of trying to score one.

IMO the Camaro has always been the best looking out of that first batch of Revell funnies. I have a couple reissue Camaros and an original unbuilt Mustang in the stash.

But seeing what you've done with it is lighting the fire again as it's easily the best looking rendition I've ever seen.