Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

This kit is Moebius' interpretation of the old old Strombcker Convair Manned Nuclear Interplanetary Vehicle kit. In this case, Moebius  refers to it as the Convair NEV (Nuclear Exploratory Vehicle). Based on designs by Krafft Ehricke in the late 1950's. It's similar in size to original Strombecker kit put out in 1959. Despite being basically the same size, Strombecker claimed a scale of 1:91 scale, where Moebius claims 1:144. Which seems more reasonable to me. The other main difference between the two kits is the length of the necks between the engine/fuel tanks and the crew compartment. The Moebius kit being a little shorter. That and the decals. 

I was delighted that Moebius decided to put out this kit a few years back. I love these speculative designs of possible spacecraft from the 1950's and early '60s. And since the Strombecker version came out in only once in 1959, when I was only one year old, I never got a chance to get my hands on an original. 

Being that the kit is put out by Moebius, everything fixes prefect and went together well. The one problem the old Strombecker kits seem to have, is the neck starts to bend with weight of the crew compartment on the end. From what I'm seeing so far, it looks like the Moebius kit should not have same problem

By the way, it should be noted that Krafft Ehricke design for this vehicle was one major influences on the design of 2001: A Space Odyssey's Discovery spacecraft. I recently added the book 2001: The Science (Volume 2), the Scientists, Influences & Designs from the Frederick I. Ordway III Estate, by Adam K. Johnson. It not only confirms this information. But, it's my understanding that the author, Mr. Johnson has soon influence on Moebius issuing this kit. 

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...