Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

Wow, that will look awesome when its done.

One question though, if you are using the reciver and all how are you gonna send it to me?

Thanks, Clay!

I'm making my own 2 piece, working receiver from brass stock, so I don't need the plastic one. Besides, with the way I've reshaped the back of the truck, the one in the kit won't work anyway...

Ahhh Yeees :lol: Lookin' very cool!!!!

Getting closer.

We're all waiting RAUL :lol::lol:

Thanks, Dave!! I've got to take a quick trip to my friend Jerry's house to get some triangular plastic before I can finish it. Jerry bought their entire stock a few weeks ago!!

Later,

Thanks, Clay!

I'm making my own 2 piece, working receiver from brass stock, so I don't need the plastic one. Besides, with the way I've reshaped the back of the truck, the one in the kit won't work anyway...

Better have some pictures of that.

Raul, is this going to be finished by NNL West?

I hope so! :)

Here are a few early pics of the trailer. It still needs a few filler panels here and there, plus a little bit of putty to smooth out the spine before it gets a coat of Fathom Green.

DSC06017-vi.jpg

DSC06016-vi.jpg

DSC06018-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along ;)

Edited by Raul_Perez

It looks great but to me it just has too much of that one same set of rims. That's just my opinion. Keep up the great work !

Yeah...I actually agree, but this is being built as a matched set, so I think anything else on the trailer or the truck would lessen the effect. ;)

You have got some talent for sure. I just love it I think it is awesome. What did you use for the rear wheel tubs in the bed?

Nick

Nick,

The tubs are made from 0.04" styrene. I first cut the opening in the bed with a circle template; then bend and insert the tub; lastly I use the circle template to make the inner sidewall for the tub and glue it in place. It's actually really easy once you've done it a couple of times.. :)

Later,

I hope so! :P

Here are a few early pics of the trailer. It still needs a few filler panels here and there, plus a little bit of putty to smooth out the spine before it gets a coat of Fathom Green.

DSC06017-vi.jpg

DSC06016-vi.jpg

DSC06018-vi.jpg

Thanks for following along :P

That looks great Raul, I wish I could see in person.

The final on the back of the pickup looks fabulous. The rib down the back and the "tail" off the pan not only link it with the roadster but really give the back end the flow and weight it needed. The curvature of the "tailgate" is just right. The trailer looks show-car sharp too. This combo should have no problem getting contracts for all the big Kustom Kar shows! :P Almost time to hit the road!

Wow that's looking very Kool!!! nice work

That looks great Raul, I wish I could see in person.

Thanks, guys!!

Clay,

You need for Uncle Sam to find a reason for you to be on the left coast in early March; just in time for the NNL West! B) That way you'd get a chance to meet a lot of the folks out this way that have contributed to your hobby! :lol:

Later,

The final on the back of the pickup looks fabulous. The rib down the back and the "tail" off the pan not only link it with the roadster but really give the back end the flow and weight it needed. The curvature of the "tailgate" is just right. The trailer looks show-car sharp too. This combo should have no problem getting contracts for all the big Kustom Kar shows! B) Almost time to hit the road!

Thanks, Bernard!!

If you end up finding your way out to Tracy the day before the NNL West in March, you just may be the first one to see it all finished!! :lol:

Thanks for the continual inspiration and design assistance!

Later,

raul my friend i was wondering how u were gonna tie the trailer to the truck and car and man u nailed it...cant wait to see it done...neal

ps....the spark plug wire arrived sat from the web site u sent me...im starting a 34 ford pickup but im thinking i need to get back to work on the...35....i really want to put an interior in it so it gonna take awhile been cool here havent been out at my work bench at all this past week...im looking for scoop for the engine for my 34 ford have to send u a pic in email to see if u can tell me where to get one

Raul,

The set is looking really good. Actually, it's downright awesome. The dedication it takes to do one piece is usually demending, let alone a 3 piece matched set! My eyes say you did the right thing by removing the fin from the edge of the bed, the single fin at the rear of the roof now flows with the roadster. I couldn't have imagined how you were gonna do the trailer and what you came up with looks fantastic. Plus, it will keep all the stones and bugs off the car while haulin' down the road from show to show, haha.

What do you have planned for an engine in the tow truck?

raul my friend i was wondering how u were gonna tie the trailer to the truck and car and man u nailed it...cant wait to see it done...neal

ps....the spark plug wire arrived sat from the web site u sent me...im starting a 34 ford pickup but im thinking i need to get back to work on the...35....i really want to put an interior in it so it gonna take awhile been cool here havent been out at my work bench at all this past week...im looking for scoop for the engine for my 34 ford have to send u a pic in email to see if u can tell me where to get one

Thanks, Neal!!

Glad the info on the wire was helpful!!

Yes, send me a picture of the scoop and I'll see what I can do to help identify it.

Raul,

The set is looking really good. Actually, it's downright awesome. The dedication it takes to do one piece is usually demending, let alone a 3 piece matched set! My eyes say you did the right thing by removing the fin from the edge of the bed, the single fin at the rear of the roof now flows with the roadster. I couldn't have imagined how you were gonna do the trailer and what you came up with looks fantastic. Plus, it will keep all the stones and bugs off the car while haulin' down the road from show to show, haha.

What do you have planned for an engine in the tow truck?

Thanks, Dennis!

Yeah, the extra fin on the back of the truck was just too much. Slanting the top of the bed forward gave the back of the truck the look I was after when I was messing around with the extra fin.

You're 100% right on the idea behind the design on the trailer. It's meant to be used for local runs, (thus the open design), yet still keep the rocks, bugs and goo off of the car while in transport.

The truck is getting the supercharged 5.4L V8 from the Revell '99 Ford Lightning kit. That's the same kit that gave up the front frame clip and front suspension.

Later,

Thanks, guys!!

Clay,

You need for Uncle Sam to find a reason for you to be on the left coast in early March; just in time for the NNL West! ;) That way you'd get a chance to meet a lot of the folks out this way that have contributed to your hobby! :blink:

Later,

Well Raul that wont be for another year or two. only been here for a little over a year.

Well Raul, when you bring it to DEEEEtroit for the Autorama in Feb. Make sure you bring the BIG watchdog, cause somethin THAT nice won't last a second on the streets of Downtown Deeetroit. It looks like Ridler Trophy time for this one! Even in PRIME it looks GREAT! You dun good Bro! ;)

Well Raul, when you bring it to DEEEEtroit for the Autorama in Feb. Make sure you bring the BIG watchdog, cause somethin THAT nice won't last a second on the streets of Downtown Deeetroit. It looks like Ridler Trophy time for this one! Even in PRIME it looks GREAT! You dun good Bro! :lol:

Thanks, George!!

Hey there my friend ;)

Your trailer design is "WILD". Couldn't imagine what you were going to do, but it's lookin' great.

I'm sure enjoying watching this come together.

Superb design and building skills ;)

Best regards - Dave :blink:

Thanks, Dave!! Yeah...I like the way the trailer is coming out. Here's a few pics of it with the bodywork finished and a basecoat of green...

Please excuse the white edges around the logo. This one was printed on photo paper and white-glued in place for the mockup pics. A special thanks to my friend Bernard, (GBK1), for designing the Raptor logo and for your continued help and inspiration. You're the man!!

I still need to paint the fenders green and use a mile of BMF on the boards.

DSC06019-vi.jpg

Here's a shot of the inside of the cowling.

DSC06025-vi.jpg

A test picture of the trailer wouldn't be complete without the Raptor sitting proudly onboard!

DSC06022-vi.jpg

Here you can see the right front tire that I've already narrowed. I still need to narrow the other three for the trailer and the two front ones for the truck.

DSC06024-vi.jpg

From here you can see where the taillights for the trailer will go. (Yes, I'll make another set to match the Raptor).

DSC06027-vi.jpg

Here's a look at the set from a bit higher up.

DSC06021-vi.jpg

And here's a closeup of the logo that Bernard designed for me.

DSC06028-vi.jpg

Thanks for all of your comments and inspiration to get this set finished!!

Later,