Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

Aha! It all comes clear to me now... The stripes will unify everything - not to mention highlighting the lovely lines of the Hauler's sectioned and molded full custom snout and the subtle curve of its sexy back end. Also, the glossy paint shows off the total success of the front fender contours (very modern and crisp - see expecially picture No.1 and the front of the fender outline as seen from rear in picture No.3). Can't wait to see the trailer with its stripes too. (No decals on the Hauler?)

BTW, I forgot to ask how you got those outstanding white gauge faces on the dash.

No, for now I've decided to only put the decals on the trailer. I'm going to print and clearcoat the decals tonight so that I can apply them to the trailer tomorrow, including the smaller decal that I thought of using on the back of the bed in case I change my mind.

The gauge faces were especially easy on this one...I used the decal from the kit. :angry: On other builds, I found pictures of gauge clusters on eBay; photo reduced them; then printed and glued them in place.

Later,

Well Raul - Whatta ya gonna do to top this? :lol:

What an amazing project.

Can't wait to see everything assembled together.

Hey Gregg, take lotsa pictures at the NNL West.

We want to see this in the magazine and on the front cover B)

Great job Raul - dave ;)

Thanks, Dave!!

It'll be a long while before I take on a project this big, (in size), again. If it wasn't for a good friend of mine giving me a new display case that he no longer has room for I'd have my work cut out for myself just to find room for it when its done! B) That's why I got away from building the larger scale models several years ago.

Simply beautiful Raul, I absolutely love it.

Thanks, Clay!!

I'm hoping that this is inspiration for you to finish your hauler and trailer, too! :P

Later,

Way cool looking Raul. Absolutely love the spine on the roof ;) . Very modern looking as well. From the rear it looks something like the Chebby SSR, but tons better. :P

Thanks, CB!! Yeah, the spine is one of those controversial "love it", "hate it" features that I added to the show car and carried over to the hauler. I like it, too. :P

Your Paint and bodywork is phenomenol. all I can say is WOW!!!

Thanks!!

I'm actually "almost" happy enough with the paint as it is, but I will sand out the little bit of orange peel that's there and polish it to match the finish of the show car.

Later,

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple of mockup pics before I finish this build over the President's Day holiday.

The truck is polished and is almost ready for final assembly. The trailer still needs to be polished, I still need to narrow the tires and wheels so that they fit into the fenders better and I still need to BMF the ramps.

DSC06129-vi.jpg

This angle shows the mirrors on the truck a bit better. They came from a late model Mustang.

DSC06135-vi.jpg

Well, here's to getting this one finished and moving on to the next project!!

Later,

Just one word: GORGEOUS!!! Congrats!

The Hauler in full polished paint and stripes looks gorgeous and the Raptor and Hauler together look twice as good! Can't wait to see more pics of the Hauler and detail pics of the trailer, too. This is gonna be a truly beautiful ensemble.

Thanks, guys!!

I'll try to post a couple of better pics tomorrow afternoon. The black background makes the cream color on the center stripe almost look white. I'll have to try a white background or shoot it outside if we get a bit of sun tomorrow.

Later,

Really, really nice, Raul! Quite a project, and it all fits--proportions, colors, etc.

The 'Raptor' logo on the trailer--did you make that? it's sweet. :D

Thanks, John!!

Our friend Bernard (GBK1) made the logo for me, I think from a picture he found on my Fotki site. Bernard was also a GREAT help and source of inspiration when I built the Raptor, so it was only fitting that he helped with the hauler and the trailer.

Later,

That is one very cool truck, trailer & rod!!! It all goes together very well!!!! :D

Thanks, Marty!

Wow, that looks great!!! I hope to have mine done soon.

Thanks, Clay!!

I can hardly wait to see yours done with that nasty Stude salt flat racer sitting proudly on the trailer!!

Take care,

RAUL! your little trio here has more imagination in it then all of mine put together. customs are not my thing; however, the raptor crew is just plain awesome. cool. :lol:

Thanks, Dale!! Yeah, that's one thing I really like about this hobby...there are so many diverse areas of interest, experience and creativity all shared in one common place.

Phun with Photoshop... :D

th_Raptor07-viLogo4.jpg

(Clic the pic for a bigger one)

Yep!! That's the one!!

Thanks again, Bernard!! It makes the trailer POP and helps tie the whole set together!!

Later,

WOW Raul, finally get ta put 'er onna shelf! She's lookin GREAT, just LOOKS like alot of thought was put into 'em, much less time! But They sure are a PRETTY trio! They just FLOW so nicely into one really sweet total peice. Like they were all thought out from the begining as ONE vehicle! Like I said else where here,Raul, your a CONSTANT source for inspiration on this forum!Thanks for sharin' SO much! :lol::D:P

.......Yep!! That's the one!!

Thanks again, Bernard!! It makes the trailer POP and helps tie the whole set together!!

Later,

What a team! Raul & Bernard. GREAT work, both of yinz :rolleyes:

Thanks, John!! Like I said, Bernard has been a great help throughout the entire build. Doing the artwork for the decal was the icing on the cake!!

WOW Raul, finally get ta put 'er onna shelf! She's lookin GREAT, just LOOKS like alot of thought was put into 'em, much less time! But They sure are a PRETTY trio! They just FLOW so nicely into one really sweet total peice. Like they were all thought out from the begining as ONE vehicle! Like I said else where here,Raul, your a CONSTANT source for inspiration on this forum!Thanks for sharin' SO much! :lol::D:lol:

Thanks, George!! I appreciate the recognition and have to say that I'm also inspired by many of the builders on this site.

But honestly, there wasn't all that much planning that went into the set. Due to space constraints, I didn't think of building a hauler and a trailer until after I bought one for Clay. Once I saw how nice it was I decided to buy and build one for myself. If you follow the thread from the start, there were several changes made to the truck as it evolved from raw plastic to a painted model, and there are still a few things I'd like to change if it wasn't already painted...

Later,