Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty-Special

Jeffcad

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 3:13 AM, Jeffcad said:

Hi John ! Thank you so much. I wanted my Fleetwood to be as close as "Sienna Rose Metallic", a GM color available for Cadillac that year, and not that common on this series. I do have the X-el's '58 and '59 Sixty Specials as well, and an original 1959 JoHan Fleetwood built kit that needs total restoration. JoHan did an amazing job with these, and for the 1961 model year, the kits or promos were even better in proportions. No chromed detailed, no opening features and sometimes no detailed chassis, but so good on overall accuracy and proportions. 60 years later, JoHan is still ahead of most manufacturers, imho.

I also have the 1960 Coupe DeVille from Modelhaus. My biggest concern is with the rear of the car. Fins are not raising enough and the rear quarter panels are too low. But I won't complain too much, knowing that's impossible to find now.

Feel free to share your own 1960 Fleetwood kit. No need to tell you I'd love to see it ;)

Thanks again!

Sorry for a late reply but moved house recently and pending some internal renovations, so no models out of boxes at the moment. I love seeing 60s as though they may not be as popular as the 59 model year the 1960 is so much cleaner a design. I am also working on a 1960 Flat top using the Monogram/modelhaus body and an Olds flat top roof the Modelhaus used to put out as that is the real car I had 30+ years ago.
Here is a prototype build using the Gunze Sango 1/32and a Coupe version also Gunze.
Cheers, J

DSCF0120.jpg

2010_02250015.JPG

On 12/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, HotRodaSaurus said:

Sorry for a late reply but moved house recently and pending some internal renovations, so no models out of boxes at the moment. I love seeing 60s as though they may not be as popular as the 59 model year the 1960 is so much cleaner a design. I am also working on a 1960 Flat top using the Monogram/modelhaus body and an Olds flat top roof the Modelhaus used to put out as that is the real car I had 30+ years ago.
Here is a prototype build using the Gunze Sango 1/32and a Coupe version also Gunze.
Cheers, J

DSCF0120.jpg

2010_02250015.JPG

Hi John !

Thanks for your message and for sharing your models... Wow, I am really impressed by your conversions and your skills. Fins transformations as well as bumpers must have been very complicated to do cause still quite differents from 1959 to 1960 in fact. What a unique model, never seen one before in that scale, congratulations !. Can't wait to see the flat top you are working on of course. :) cheers, and thanks again ! JP.

Edited by Jeffcad

Thanks, Jean-Philippe(I hope that is correct)
The Gunze kit is quite old now, they also made an Eldorado Brougham. All slightly over long, the white walls are hand painted and the front grill simply has the 59 centre bar cut out. My first use of BMF, tail lamps just fabricated from kit parts and rear screen on flat top is a cut about front screen from another kit(I bought 6 at the time) Plastic is very brittle similar to most kits clear windshield glass.
I built the Coupe first and followed up immediately with the flattop, they are probably around 20+ years old. 
I shall also post a pic of a slot car I built at the same time as these then I find it :)
A couple more photo's Cheers J-P

2010_02250018.JPG

2010_02250019.JPG

2010_02250020.JPG

16 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

Thanks, Jean-Philippe(I hope that is correct)
The Gunze kit is quite old now, they also made an Eldorado Brougham. All slightly over long, the white walls are hand painted and the front grill simply has the 59 centre bar cut out. My first use of BMF, tail lamps just fabricated from kit parts and rear screen on flat top is a cut about front screen from another kit(I bought 6 at the time) Plastic is very brittle similar to most kits clear windshield glass.
I built the Coupe first and followed up immediately with the flattop, they are probably around 20+ years old. 
I shall also post a pic of a slot car I built at the same time as these then I find it :)
A couple more photo's Cheers J-P

2010_02250018.JPG

2010_02250019.JPG

2010_02250020.JPG

Hi John, yes of course. :)

Thank you very much for the additional pictures, I am even more impressed now, especially converting a scale that is significantly smaller than the common 1/24 and 1/25. It's always a pleasure for me to see other Cadillac collector's work, passion and commitment, so again, feel free to share more pics if you can. More of a good thing is never enough. Cheers. JP.