Model Cars Magazine Forum

Createx

Well you have plenty of paint, you could lightly scuff with the steel wool and see what you get. It undoubtedly will be smoother feeling but it may change the tone or make uneven tone though a smoother finish, I've seen that happen. In that case reshoot your color coat.

Last year I shot a 39 Ford sedan in craft paint in a build off with another guy from this forum. We really had a good time sharing back and forth in email too. Anyway, on my last coat of green this chunk of dirt landed right in the roof. Big ugly chunk of something. I stuck  the body in my dehydrator and 30 minutes later sanded it out and shot two more coats of the green. And I'm glad in a way because those two coats while flat green paint turned out satin smooth. In a couple of days as time allowed I shot the clear Tamiya X-22 without incident. I never sanded that car, I went with Colgate tooth paste then Formula 1 scratch out. I still haven't waxed it actually.

Back to this Createx discussion.  Since Hobby Lobby only has the 4050 clear, has anyone used this with good results.  This thread is so long I don't see if this was discussed. Sorry if it was.

At any rate , going there today so I'm guessing either that or rattle can Model Master clear.

47 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

So I bought this at Wallyworld.  Anyone ever used it??

I have used that to seal in the acrylic craft paints with great success.  Unfortunately, have not ventured there over the Createx.  I have used Rustoleum 2x over Createx without issues.  HTH

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

So Hobby Lobby apparently doesn't carry the 4050. Only Createx clear was 5604 Gloss Top Coat on the Createx website says "semi-gloss".  

So I bought this at Wallyworld.  Anyone ever used it??

1368347049_20201210_181522(2).jpg.e6356f8c88bc453a55c3d1eb0ec82d96.jpg

If that's the stuff I used a while ago it works fine as clear coat. It stinks to the high heavens, worse than nitro lacquer if it's the same stuff I had. Rustoleum spray lacquer works well though, which ever iteration

Edited by Dave G.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm gonna give it a test run hopefully today.  I have to do some painting today because temps here in middle Tennessee won't allow it next week.

Sounds like it's time for a spray booth of some sort. Or a vent fan in the basement maybe. So you can paint in the winter or lousy weather. I've been painting in the kitchen for the last few years, half the time into the kitchen trash lol ! In fact that's where I shot the 31 Ford fenders I posted up in the thread here a couple weeks back.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Sounds like it's time for a spray booth of some sort. Or a vent fan in the basement maybe. So you can paint in the winter or lousy weather. I've been painting in the kitchen for the last few years, half the time into the kitchen trash lol ! In fact that's where I shot the 31 Ford fenders I posted up in the thread here a couple weeks back.

I paint in the garage. Really never considered doing it in the house. I'd be afraid of spray dust and of course when using other than acrylics the fumes. I do have a small paint booth but really no way to vent it outside. 

54 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I paint in the garage. Really never considered doing it in the house. I'd be afraid of spray dust and of course when using other than acrylics the fumes. I do have a small paint booth but really no way to vent it outside. 

What ever works for ya. You certainly know your situation and locale better than I do. But I wouldn't spray that Rustoleum in the house either, it stinks but the stink doesn't hang on too bad. The can is throwing me, mine was black.

Edited by Dave G.

Well I finally did it.  Below is the Createx painted body sprayed with Rustoleum Crystal Clear.  Not the greatest pictures but I think you can tell the gloss. I will say it sprays pretty liquidy so when spraying it  I wouldn't  get too aggressive wit h the coats. This is 4 coats.  It went on really smooth. By the way, this is the first time I have ever applied clear on any model I've built.  Pictures are with no polishing.

20201211_194908.jpg.a4c25ed5f213edd86876fc86e23c9f04.jpg20201211_194952.jpg.716c511e4c3f27ca89661027660003f1.jpg20201211_195004.jpg.08b27ccc4762789d777bb61c8d94f0e2.jpg

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well I finally did it.  Below is the Createx painted body sprayed with Rustoleum Crystal Clear.  Not the greatest pictures but I think you can tell the gloss. I will say it sprays pretty liquidy so when spraying it  I wouldn't  get too aggressive wit h the coats. This is 4 coats.  It went on really smooth. By the way, this is the first time I have ever applied clear on any model I've built.  Pictures are with no polishing.

20201211_194908.jpg.a4c25ed5f213edd86876fc86e23c9f04.jpg20201211_194952.jpg.716c511e4c3f27ca89661027660003f1.jpg20201211_195004.jpg.08b27ccc4762789d777bb61c8d94f0e2.jpg

Mike it's pretty hard to screw that stuff up ( humid warm weather might blush it when spraying). It's thin but not really runny. 4 coats is about right. Me being me I'd probably polish that without sanding, the finish looks great at least from here 1000 miles from your home more or less ! No idea if the color is what you had in mind but it came out nice.

Thanks Dave, to me it just seemed a bit thin and I actually had a small bit of sag on one side on the first coat but it kinda smoothed out and after the additional coats it's barely noticible if at all.

As for the color, maybe just a slight bit golder than the real color (tho I've read that people painting a 1:1 car in Satin Gold have seen shade differences).  

And yes, I'm not gonna sand, just fine grit polishing compound and polish.  I use higher grade auto products that I use on our real cars.

Anyway, thanks again Dave and others that have helped me here to get to this point.  

45 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I do have another curiosity question tho for y'all.  Do you think when spraying, airbrush and/or rattle can,  that you get more orange peel it you spray a vertical surface (sideways on side of car)) or flat surface ( down onto roof, hood). I hope you understand my question.

Ya I think that potential exists. But I don't really spray vertical on models. It's a little plastic body, I take a plastic cup with a loop of tape on the bottom and shove that up against the underside of the roof inside the car. Now I can hold the body at any angle I want to shoot at, obviously preferably down onto it. That's my latest method, could be different tomorrow.

Edited by Dave G.

5 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Ya I think that potential exists. But I don't really spray vertical on models. It's a little plastic body, I take a plastic cup with a loop of tape on the bottom and shove that up against the underside of the roof inside the car. Now I can hold the body at any angle I want to shoot at, obviously preferably down onto it. That's my latest method, could be different tomorrow.

"Down onto it" is the exactly how I should have described it.  I really do think the potential for runs and orange peel is greater when spraying vertically.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

"Down onto it" is the exactly how I should have described it.  I really do think the potential for runs and orange peel is greater when spraying vertically.

It only took me several decades to figure out because 1/1 is painted on it's wheels a plastic model doesn't have to sit there on a tray or cardboard or whatever. It doesn't weigh 3-4k but can be picked up and shot at any angle. Plus the air pressure doesn't kick BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH up into the paint. We really are creatures of habit.