Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about MCW enamels

As someone who likes rep-stock builds, I was excited to see that these guys with their expertise in reproducing 1:1 car colors are now offering factory color enamel paints for models.

1) I'd like to hear any of your experiences with these enamels, good or bad.

2) Any idea if lacquer thinner will work well as a reducer?  I'd like to get away from needing to have 8,000 proprietary reducers on hand.

Any pics of builds shot with these enamels would also be appreciated.

I have MCW lacquer that sprays pretty nice but I have not shot the enamels yet. Someplace I found a video from Mike at MCW and he stated as people order these and he mixes them, the colors they ordered become part of the supply index going forward. That's probably why Donn in the video above said the 1500 mark would become a distant memory.

Edited by Dave G.

The problem is Donn is that he's almost TOO good - you could give him Modge Podge to spray and he'd probably get a show winning finish :D :D   So him getting a good finish with these doesn't necessarily mean I will too...

My skill level is considerably lower than his, so I'm hoping the good results I just started getting with Testor's enamels (right before they discontinued the clear I like) transfer over fairly painlessly, even without Mr Yost's considerable skill and experience.  I'm excited to find out though!

27 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

The problem is Donn is that he's almost TOO good - you could give him Modge Podge to spray and he'd probably get a show winning finish :D :D   So him getting a good finish with these doesn't necessarily mean I will too...

My skill level is considerably lower than his, so I'm hoping the good results I just started getting with Testor's enamels (right before they discontinued the clear I like) transfer over fairly painlessly, even without Mr Yost's considerable skill and experience.  I'm excited to find out though!

You'll do fine.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, CabDriver said:

The problem is Donn is that he's almost TOO good - you could give him Modge Podge to spray and he'd probably get a show winning finish :D:D   So him getting a good finish with these doesn't necessarily mean I will too...

You can get a finish like he does if you sand the body up to 80K grit, and than sand and compound and polish if needed.

These super-fine sanding/polishing grit battles are totally out of control. :wacko:  I honestly think that manufacturers just pull those high numbers out of a hat just to appease those addicted to sanding/polishing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peteski said:

These super-fine sanding/polishing grit battles are totally out of control. :wacko:  I honestly think that manufacturers just pull those high numbers out of a hat just to appease those addicted to sanding/polishing

I can easily tell the difference in my finish between 8000 and 12000, and I’ve got a process I like now with three progressively finer polishing pastes and creams - but I didn’t know anyone was even making polishing cloths beyond the ‘standard’ 12000 grit.  

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I can easily tell the difference in my finish between 8000 and 12000, and I’ve got a process I like now with three progressively finer polishing pastes and creams - but I didn’t know anyone was even making polishing cloths beyond the ‘standard’ 12000 grit.  

Part of my point is that I think that even 8000 and 12000 numbers are exagerrated. If you had the ability to measure the grit on those sheets it would likely be lower than the stated numbers.  What "grit" is a used dryer softener sheet?  Some people use those for polishing paint jobs.

Yet I don't polish or wax any of my models, so I should really just keep quiet.  But I can't help rolling my eyes when I see those high numbers mentioned. Hey, but if others enjoy polishing their models, all the power to them.  If I was forced to sand/polish, to me it would be a chore which would make me abandon the hobby.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Yes micro mark starting at 6000 and up is different.  Below though its like starting with 1500 if you start at 3200.  I'd be very hard pressed to see a difference in two exact same bodies, but one body sanded to 12000G, and the other just sanding with 600-800G.  Than both primer coats nice and smooth and than color and 2K coat.  You could take a body and sand it with 600 & 800 grit and than primer and sand primer with 3KG and 5kG if needed, and than paint and 2k clear.  I doubt there would be any difference at all to warrant the effort.  I guess with enamels it's different cause it already has it's nice gloss finish to it.  You're sanding and polishing that instead of laying down a clear coat. 

P.S there is no 80K grit.  I was just being a smarta$$ lol

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1