Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to get the best looking model when just using spray paint

i typically glue pieces together that are meant to be the same color, and paint it as one.  if there is a piece that is meant to be different color, like say the exhaust on the chassis, i will paint first, and then glue, but only use a tiny dot of glue.

i like the model master glue with the metal tip for that. you can get such a tiny amount.  (not the testors branded one. that has a plastic tip, which is not as thin) https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Cement-Plastics-1-oz/dp/B0006N6ODS

if its on the body, like say a side mirror, i will use the clear parts cement. its just white glue https://www.amazon.com/Testor-Model-Master-Cement-Window/dp/B0006NDZDU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=glue+for+windows+model+master&qid=1610633387&sr=8-1 it washes off with water so if i make a mistake, it doesnt ruin the paint. however, you essentially cant touch that piece after. many times i will use the white glue to get it in place. when it dries, i will use the model master in a place not easily seen to make it more secure. 

i have recently started using the tamiya thin cement,  but i havent used it with pieces that are painted yet. that stuff seems to work good though, but does get rid of the paint it seems. its very thin, so i have to be very careful with how much i use. it seems to get everywhere if im not careful. no using it when im tired. i have messed up 2 models that way

one thing i have done, if i do mess up paint from spray cans. i will just spray some in a cup (not plastic cup) and use a brush to touch up. its never perfect, but usually quite hard to see if you build up the paint again slowly. a little at a time in layers

Edited by youpey

I would look for a different paint and glue.   There must be some sort of reaction going on there.  Try using a good plastic cement (not the cheap stuff) and keep the glue off the surface you are trying to paint.

Secondly, prime the plastic and use a good quality paint.  What you are describing should not happen if you are using good materials.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, youpey said:

i typically glue pieces together that are meant to be the same color, and paint it as one.  if there is a piece that is meant to be different color, like say the exhaust on the chassis, i will paint first, and then glue, but only use a tiny dot of glue.

i like the model master glue with the metal tip for that. you can get such a tiny amount.  (not the testors branded one. that has a plastic tip, which is not as thin) https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Cement-Plastics-1-oz/dp/B0006N6ODS

if its on the body, like say a side mirror, i will use the clear parts cement. its just white glue https://www.amazon.com/Testor-Model-Master-Cement-Window/dp/B0006NDZDU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=glue+for+windows+model+master&qid=1610633387&sr=8-1 it washes off with water so if i make a mistake, it doesnt ruin the paint. however, you essentially cant touch that piece after. many times i will use the white glue to get it in place. when it dries, i will use the model master in a place not easily seen to make it more secure. 

i have recently started using the tamiya thin cement,  but i havent used it with pieces that are painted yet. that stuff seems to work good though, but does get rid of the paint it seems. its very thin, so i have to be very careful with how much i use. it seems to get everywhere if im not careful. no using it when im tired. i have messed up 2 models that way

one thing i have done, if i do mess up paint from spray cans. i will just spray some in a cup (not plastic cup) and use a brush to touch up. its never perfect, but usually quite hard to see if you build up the paint again slowly. a little at a time in layers

Yes, the Tamiya thin cement works well. But I only use it to combine unpainted parts. I learned the hard way about it seeping out and ruining the finish on painted parts.