Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT PP-29 turbine Big rig Engine

Mr mopar

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

I haven't seen a release date anywhere online yet, but late 2Q 2021 seems reasonable.

Looking forward to this one for sure, as I'm sure many others are, too.

Tim told me it should be out with the Kenworth Mixer so maybe soon !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting that the turbine engine in the original Astro 95 kit that I built was molded in white just like the rest of the kit, and not green as they are doing here.   Back at a toy show in Warren MI a few years back, I asked a Round2 rep about the turbine engine tooling from the original Astro 95 kit.  I mentioned to the guy I was speaking to that the entire engine and trans were on their own tree and could be released as a stand alone accessory kit or added back into the Astro 95.  The rep said he wasn't aware that the turbine engine had been molded in it's own tree, but he said that they'd definitely look into it and thanked me for the info.  When I asked, he also mentioned that Round2 had the International S-series truck tooling in their inventory, but not a licensing agreement from Navistar

So talking to these guys at hobby shows is always a good thing.

A.J.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:46 PM, maxwell48098 said:

he also mentioned that Round2 had the International S-series truck tooling in their inventory, but not a licensing agreement from Navistar

That would not be a true statement, as for them to Issue anything International harvester related would have to still go through Navistar International. Be it the Scout II or any of the semi trucks such as the Transtar 4300, Transtar II, Transatar 4070a, Paystar 5000's and the S-Series 2575/2674 kit's.

21 hours ago, ranma said:

That would not be a true statement, as for them to Issue anything International harvester related would have to still go through Navistar International. Be it the Scout II or any of the semi trucks such as the Transtar 4300, Transtar II, Transatar 4070a, Paystar 5000's and the S-Series 2575/2674 kit's.

Entirely possible, but they may not have a licensing agreement for those specific items. Hard or say if their agreement with Navistar is all encompassing or on a per kit basis, so maybe that's why. Or maybe in the years since the hobby show that's changed. Maybe they're waiting to see how the upcoming 4070A does (even though we all know they'll do well) to pump out more International trucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the media sample of the Allison Turbine Engine today.   The original was not molded in green.   Round2 decided to go with a color similar to Detroit Diesel Alpine Green for the parts pack.

The turbine should be a direct fit into an Astro95 or Titan90.

Chevrolet, GMC, White-Freightliner, Kenworth and Peterbilt all installed Allison Turbines in experimental trucks.

Not my photo, but this would make a great display!  A real Allison Turbine with an AMT model of the trucks and the turbine engine.

19044251_AllisonTurbineandAMTModelKit.jpg.359ed2bf4360a16cbc9be79d3d4f593d.jpg

Back in 2014 I stuffed one of the turbine engines under a Peterbilt 352.  image.png.9ccff1f43b699018fdcd3af09e51fb2a.png

image.png.3a217535c82144019727aaacb6039b41.png

Nice, had no idea either. Does that mean that I should pick up one and paint it alpine green, or attempt to repaint the red one I did long ago?  The one @Mr mopar posted above is one of my originals.  I searched high and low for correct engine color but eventually caved and went with box art color. @mackinac359's post here settles that one!

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

11 hours ago, steve1970 said:

Nice, had no idea either. Does that mean that I should pick up one and paint it alpine green, or attempt to repaint the red one I did long ago?  The one @Mr mopar posted above is one of my originals.  I searched high and low for correct engine color but eventually caved and went with box art color. @mackinac359's post here settles that one!

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

I think it looks good red !

• 2 weeks later...

AMTPP029_BigRigTurbineDisplayEngine_PKG-

• AUTHENTIC EXPERIMENTAL ENGINE: AMT’s 1/25 scale big rig Turbine Display Engine is available for the first time since the early 1970s! And for the first time ever, it’s available in this standalone kit! This engine model is fun for the intermediate modeler who wants something exciting and different.
  • FEATURE PACKED: This engine kit is a complete miniature model in itself! It can be built and proudly displayed on its own, or it can also be installed in AMT’s GMC Astro 95 big rig cabover kit using the provided instruction sheet, to create an replica of AMT’s original turbine tractor!
  • QUICK SPECS: 1/25 Scale, with over 40 Parts. Molded in historically authentic “mint green”.