Model Cars Magazine Forum

truck, boat, and trailer

5 hours ago, David G. said:

What a wonderful feeling it must be for you to have this build come to this point. A tremendous accomplishment!

David G.

Thank you David!  I am happy that it has made progress, but will be happier when it’s done!  I am a slow builder, and this set has been about a year in the making.  I’d like to move on to a few other things, but then this one would never get finished.  I just need to stick with it until it’s done.

TS

• 2 weeks later...

The 47 Chevy seems like a pretty good size car, and since the stock engine is a straight 6 Stove Bolt, one might think stuffing something larger under the hood like a V12 LS3, might not be that big of a challenge.  That is of course until you realize that the open real estate where the steering shaft used to reside is now occupied by a six hole header from one side of the V12.  1/25 scale steering u-joints are really tiny!

85C97412-BAF1-4FCD-BFCC-C0C4A913F76E.jpeg

904EF12A-5257-4BC8-9581-E0962C3AD98D.jpeg

Great work on the linkage!

I've found that though most people won't consciously notice each and every little detail that we add, all those details get registered subconsciously and add up to an increased overall impression of realism. That's when you end up with comments like, "Wha- what did you do? It looks so real!" 

They can't quite put a finger on it but it's there.

David G.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Details details details…. My least favorite part of any build is final assembly.  That’s the time when I have the greatest chance to mess up all of the work I have done.  It’s also when I realize that I have forgotten to do something, or some minor but important detail that I should have done before this point still needs to be done.  Here we are.  These pics show everything in mock up ready for final glue.  I’m making a punch list of what still needs to be done, so I don’t miss something.  Wish me luck!

IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

Edited by foghorn62
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Details details details…. My least favorite part of any build is final assembly.  That’s the time when I have the greatest chance to mess up all of the work I have done.  It’s also when I realize that I have forgotten to do something, or some minor but important detail that I should have done before this point still needs to be done.  Here we are.  These pics show everything in mock up ready for final glue.  I’m making a punch list of what still needs to be done, so I don’t miss something.  Wish me luck!

IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

A favorite saying of mine....from my former boss Dan Rivard at Ford....'luck is when preparation meets opportunity".  You're prepared, and you have made the opportunity for yourself with the work you've done to date....so i could wish you luck (and I will), but you've set yourself up for success many times over already.  Congrats in advance, Tim !   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still piddling away at it.  Got the engine mounted in the frame, with headers and side outlet exhaust.  Installed stainless steel tie rods and made the front wheels posable.  Been playing with nickel plating at home and experimented on the scratch built mufflers and driveshaft.  Made a hitch reciver, and turned a hitch ball.  I’ll nickel plate those too, just because I can.  Installed some magnets in the uptop and convertible boot, so that they can be easily interchanged.  Just a few more details to finish, and this one will be done.

IMG_6941.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6959.jpeg

IMG_6961.jpeg

IMG_6962.jpeg

Edited by foghorn62
  • Like 2

This build is now complete.  See wrap up pics in the “Under Glass” section, at this link.

Thank you Paul Payne for starting this thread, and setting a high bar with your awesome build.  It’s been fun.  To everyone who followed along, or just stopped by to see what we were up to, I’d like to thank all of you for stopping by.  I really hope you like what you saw.

TS

IMG_6971.jpeg

Edited by foghorn62
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, David G. said:

What a beautiful pair of vehicles and such a grand adventure getting built!

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride, I'll look them up in the Under Glass section.

David G.

Thank you very much for stopping by, and your gracious comments David.  Your words are very encouraging.  I hope you were able to find the finished pics in the Under Glass section.  The forum doesn’t have a general category that includes boats, so I posted it in the “Everything Else” area, where it gets mixed in with military models.

Thanks again for your interest.

TS