Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport - Accurate Miniatures or Revell?

Mcpesq817

Hi everyone, I was on Model Car Garage the other day to pick up the PE set for the Accurate Miniatures M8 McLaren, and saw they had a PE set for AM's Corvette Grand Sport.  So, did some quick picture shopping and picked up the PE set.  Now that I had some time, I was looking the various boxes (the white and blue AM kits, and the Revell blue kit) and the builds on here, and was wondering if any of the three are better than the others?  People mentioned fit issues, but I couldn't tell if that referred to any of the particular AM versions or whether Revell cleaned those up.  For what it's worth, I was mostly thinking about getting the white version, though the blue one with the hood louvres is growing on me.  

Also, this might be a shot in the dark, but if anyone has an HRM transkit they are looking to part with, I'd be interested :) 

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Mcpesq817 said:

Hi everyone, I was on Model Car Garage the other day to pick up the PE set for the Accurate Miniatures M8 McLaren, and saw they had a PE set for AM's Corvette Grand Sport.  So, did some quick picture shopping and picked up the PE set.  Now that I had some time, I was looking the various boxes (the white and blue AM kits, and the Revell blue kit) and the builds on here, and was wondering if any of the three are better than the others?  People mentioned fit issues, but I couldn't tell if that referred to any of the particular AM versions or whether Revell cleaned those up.  For what it's worth, I was mostly thinking about getting the white version, though the blue one with the hood louvres is growing on me.  

Also, this might be a shot in the dark, but if anyone has an HRM transkit they are looking to part with, I'd be interested :) 

Thanks in advance!

The AM vettes  were reworked at some point, by AM and probably got new box-art too. The Revell version is a bagged shot of the latter in a Revell wrapper.

Thanks guys.  I read that link and came to the same understanding about the white box version - seems like there should be nothing worrisome about getting the white one? 

Also, I assume the MCG PE set should work on the white one?  There were some comments in the various posts here that made it not particularly clear to me whether the PE set applies across all versions.  I'm a little new to this PE thing for cars - much easier with planes and ships where the sets are typically marketed for a particular kit and you don't generally have multiple versions of the kit subject from the same manufacturer.

4 hours ago, Mcpesq817 said:

Thanks in advance!

Sent you a PM.

I've built both versions of the AM and have a Revell yet to start.  The Revell, as mentioned, is still in the AM bags inside the box, so I doubt there are any upgrades.  DaveVan worked at AM and may contribute more to this thread and has in the past on other threads.   They are all buildable, but they aren't going to fall together.  They will all need some work here and there and the tires are often misshapen - they won't sand nicely.   

My favorite version was the one Revell did - the Delmo Johnson car.   I did mine before hte Revell version with VRM decals which are just outstanding.  I still have enough extra misc decals to go a long way on my next one.   

Get one and enjoy.