Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 craftsman Nova wagon adapting 66 Nova pro street chassis and Foose 502. Big tire drag bash

BOSCO57

Saw on another thread some converting stock 66 pan. I want to do a fairly simple drag car with this kit. Now I've seen some things here I must address.  1. Why a 4 door wagon? Simple, except for rumored USAF vehicles it's the only factory offered wagon. Wagons have long history of weight transfer superiority. I have this in styrene in hand and like it a lot. 2. Do you have to cut the engine compartment away? According to the other thread yes but I don't think so. Has anyone noticed the holes in the inner fenders on stock 63? Looks like spring location holes like in the 66. Proportionally looks okay. You might choose to but I intend to use this body intact. Looking at the body I think springs and upper arms can be used with the stock chassis for added detail? We shall see on this thread. I'm keeping this simple because the chassis retains leaf springs. If it offered a 4 link and more sophisticated parts I'd likely gut the engine bay and add tubular a arms and coil overs. But this is intended to be a simple build of a street/bracket footbrake car. I hope you find it enjoyable.

20210301_130807.jpg

20210301_131057.jpg

20210301_130903.jpg

20210301_130939.jpg

After a few hours it has taken shape. Retained much of the interior. All 4 door panels intact. Modified front suspension to retain metal axle. Will allow springs and upper arms to attach to stock engine bay.

20210301_152529.jpg

20210301_152351.jpg

20210301_181403.jpg

20210301_181447.jpg

20210301_181542.jpg

received_143580640879499.jpeg

received_264175038533634.jpeg

After a few hours it has taken shape. Retained much of the interior. All 4 door panels intact. Modified front suspension to retain metal axle. Will allow springs and upper arms to attach to stock engine bay.

20210301_183243.jpg

1 hour ago, BOSCO57 said:

received_143580640879499.jpeg

Good to see some drag-y tires on it. Your earlier pic had me worried. :lol:

Sweet stance in this pic. BADASS! B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Good to see some drag-y tires on it. Your earlier pic had me worried. :lol:

Sweet stance in this pic. BADASS! B)

It's all about the drag parts. Fuel cell, nitrous, shifter and roll cage options are next. Aluminum panels to be fabbed. What surprised me is it was only about 4 hours to get to this point. Between the 2 kits you can build 2 very different cars. Promo style 66 Nova?

6 hours ago, BOSCO57 said:

Between the 2 kits you can build 2 very different cars. Promo style 66 Nova?

You could if you started with the stock Nova. You started with the PS version so to get a "promo" you'll need to come up with stock interior parts. B)

Michael, you have done some really nice work adapting these two kits. Won't the paint be hard to get smooth, especially the trim for foil. I am not trying to be critical but my experience with Krylon on bodies is that it is hard to get the textured finish smooth even without the "shimmer" type of paint.  It would be a shame to overlook the great work you have done due to paint and foil.  I really like what you have done and I hope you understand my comment is meant to be constructive. 😎

7 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Michael, you have done some really nice work adapting these two kits. Won't the paint be hard to get smooth, especially the trim for foil. I am not trying to be critical but my experience with Krylon on bodies is that it is hard to get the textured finish smooth even without the "shimmer" type of paint.  It would be a shame to overlook the great work you have done due to paint and foil.  I really like what you have done and I hope you understand my comment is meant to be constructive. 😎

I agree. It hasn't been worked with yet but I've gotten great results previously. Still have to apply a coat of transparent red yet and polish. I started this on a whim because I thought other people were over complicating it. It has turned out better than I thought.

20210304_052043.jpg

20210304_051845.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 8:47 AM, Snake45 said:

You could if you started with the stock Nova. You started with the PS version so to get a "promo" you'll need to come up with stock interior parts. B)

Well 3 kits then. L i wasnt thinking that much since i have a huge parts pile.