Model Cars Magazine Forum

My rare auto models

caapa

Bentley State Limousine HM The Queen Elisabeth 2002

In 2002 Bentley modified the Arnage R heavily to a State Limousine for HM The Queen Elisabeth in occasion of her Golden Jubilee. The car would be 83 cm longer, 25.5 cm taller and a bit wider.The rear window could be covered by opaque panels to give more privacy over against the full visibility of the occupants. The bodywork and glass are armoured, the cabin can be sealed air-tight and the tyres are kevlar-reinforced. When carrying the Queen the bonnet ornament is replaced, either by the Queen's personal mascot of Saint George slaying the dragon or, in Scotland, by a single standing lion. There were 2 cars built both in black colour.  The unique bodywork was built by Bentley's Mulliner coachbuilding division.

The model made by Oxford Diecast in 1:76 scale. The little car is well detailed: the hood ornament is the original „flying B” – the Queen isn`t in car. But the coat-of-royal-arms is on the top and on the  rear doors below the windows is the emblem of the Queen. In 1:76 size !  The model is bourdon , not black. I saw some photos on the net in bourdon and some in black. I dislike the black little cars.

Enjpy the pictures.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Nice. It’s still black over claret atm. Neat cars. 
I believe she has the Phantom 6 predecessor too, similar livery. I forget who did it in scale but there is one out there. 
Keep them coming. 
Found pics on ‘bay. 
67 PV laundaulet and ‘87 PVI high-roof like the Mulsanne. Both 1:43

D417A1F7-C69C-4DCE-8B88-5CF3F5B7891F.jpeg.80fb09a68cb6898284cad75ed68e7334.jpegCBE79D78-28A9-4E44-949D-CB9E12F00B9F.jpeg.48f1e9548c1bbf4e76581f2a3f493371.jpeg

General Motors LeSabre Concept 1951

General Motors’ LeSabre was legendary design chief Harley Earl’s tour de force that had massive influence on car design for a decade. Probably it was the most important show car of the 1950s.

The design was influenced by the jet Le Sabre F-86 and had a lot new features never seen before: the first appearance of GM’s famed wrap-around windshield,  a console-mounted sensor automatically raised its top when it rained, instrumentation included beside the usually ones a compass and altimeter too, magnesium, aluminum, and fiberglass were creatively combined and crafted into a lightweight body,  automatic transmission was located at the rear of the car, et cetera.

The car  is powered by a custom designed 215 cubic-inch aluminum, 335 hp supercharged V8 engine designed to run on both gasoline and ethanol with two separate fuel tanks and two carburetors. Each of the dual tail fins contained a 20-gallon fuel tank.

Seat and steering wheel were non-adjustable, permanently set for 6’ 4” Earl alone. The LeSabre was fully functional and served as Harley Earl’s daily driver for several years, racking up 45,000 miles.

A great publicity tour that included a tour of France and Belgium caused a great sensation and, while in Europe, posed for photos with General Eisenhower.

The lightly altered version 1952 captured the imagination of more than a million spectators of the 1953 Motorama show.

The models:

The first model is made from a GlenCoe Models kit 1:72 scale. The colour is the same as the prototype was painted in the workshop and never showed publicly. The kit needed some correction at the rear and a transparent windshield in place of the solid plastic block.

The next two are curved from wood by me scale 1:75 in 1995. They are the two variants 1951 and 1952.

The last one is made by Franklin Mint 1:24 scale in 1999 and is the best selling model of the company since than. The model is very nice done, with removable „soft„ top. The only delusion are the head lights, they are painted simlpy white. There is even no indention to simulate the pattern of glass. But I like this car and the models of it very much.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 buick le sabre Glen Coe Models.jpg

02 buick le sabre Glen Coe Models.jpg

03 buick le sabre Glen Coe Models.jpg

04 DSCN0018.jpg

05 buick le sabre.jpg

06 buick le sabre.jpg

07 buick le sabre II.jpg

08 buick le sabre II.jpg

09 buick le sabre II.jpg

09 buick le sabre II1.jpg

10 IMG_8543.jpg

10 IMG_85461.jpg

11 IMG_8539.jpg

12 IMG_8542.jpg

13 IMG_8544.jpg

14 IMG_8545.jpg

15 IMG_8596.jpg

16 IMG_8594.jpg

17 IMG_8598.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Gary,

thanks for the nice comment. I have about 50 such curved 1:75 models. I don`t know may I show tham in this forum or any other ? Some of tham are from the begining my modeling before more than 50 years (they are a bit simple) the newer ones are similar what I showed in connection with diecast variants soon.

• Like 1

Jaguar XJ-C V12 Broadspeed Racing 1975

In 1975, Ralf Broad got a contract to prepare Jaguar XJ Series II V12 Coupes for entry in the Group 2 class of the European Touring Car Championship. They tuned the 5.4 litre V12 engine to some 560 hp, gave massive AP brakes cooled by special ducts at all four corners and used specially cast suspension components to cope with racing loads. Its pace was fearsome as a string of strong qualifying performances proved, but engine failures, gearbox seizures, broken driveshafts and lost wheels caused countless retirements.  In spite of using top drivers, such as Derek Bell, the cars were not successful.

The model made by Guisval Spain scale 1:64 (about). It was a fleemarkt find and in wrong condition.  The casting had the expanded wheel arches so I repainted it and made the racing version with rhe first Broadspeed liveria by decals.

IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

• Like 1

Rolls Royce Phantom VII. 2003

It was the first Rolls-Royce developed and introduced after BMW purchased the right to use the Rolls-Royce name and logo in 1998. The car built according the motto „Design without compromise – Rolls Royce Facts.” It  is a full-sized luxury saloon car built in the RR factory near to the Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit. The body is mostly aluminium. The aluminium extrusions that are used to construct the aluminium spaceframe are produced in Norway using hydroelectric power, shaped and machined in Denmark and finally hand-welded in Germany. In the RR factory are only three robots in the factory. They are painting the body ; all further works are hand made. In accordance with tradition. A bit traditional are the rear doors rear-hinged , a style commonly referred to as suicide doors, but called 'coach doors' by Rolls-Royce. The base of Spirit of Extasy (pet name Emily)contains a sensor that detects movement, and retracts if someone tampers with it. The 2,485 kg heavy car powered by a 6,749 cc V12 engine 460 PS. And it accelerate to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds. There is a special edition : Naples Winter Wine Festival 2005. Built for the festival in Florid in burgundy colour body. It included  some extra design details and a mini wine cellar at the floor of the boot. It was sold at a charity auction in the US for $800,000.

The model made by XLG/China 1:24 scale in burgundy colour. A little help for open the hood : there is a little button under the engine to lift it a bit. Emily has no protection against tampering.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_8563.jpg

02 IMG_8562.jpg

03 IMG_8564.jpg

04 IMG_8560.jpg

05 IMG_8561.jpg

06  IMG_8580.jpg

07 IMG_8581.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, keyser said:

Please share. Perhaps an “Organic models” thread? Lots of kits initially were wood. 
Great work. 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, Gramps46 said:

X2, please share.

Hi,

I`m glad to hear you want to see my „curved” models too. I think these ones are interesting for a few enthusiasts who are making similar 100% DIY models small or greater ones.  These models are not available in commerce and so the interest for a such tread would be very low.

I think the best would be if I show tham between my rare auto models time to time. Perhaphs in chronology of making. So one can see some developing in modeling skills and technology.  I checked my models and documentation: models are there – photos few and in old quality. But I shall do my best what free time allows.

Thanks for the nice inspiration.

Renault Alpine  A441 Group 5 1974

At the Circuit Paul Ricard, April 7th, the opening round of the 1974 European 2-litre Sports-Car Championship saw the young Alain Cudini, score three significant “firsts”, when he won the 68-lap event. It was his first 2-litre sports-car drive, the first occasion the new A441 model had raced, and the first Championship points the manufacturer had scored since first contesting the Championship. It was great time for Renault ! The car was powered by a Renault-Gordini Type CH1B V6 cylinder petrol engine, 1997 cc with 295 HP and a top speed of 320 kmh. Next year they started in Le Mans 24h. Lella Lombardi (later lady driver in F1) and Marie-Claude Beamont were the 9th fastest qualifier but did not finish because of fuel feed problems. There was 2 cars built only.

The model made by Polistil 1:55 scale. The original was yellow and I modified to the Lombardi car dark blue

Enjoy the pictures..

01 renault a 441 Polistil 09.jpg

02 renault a 441 Polistil 06.jpg

021 renault a 441 Polistil 06.jpg

03 renault a 441 Polistil 05.jpg

031 renault a 441 Polistil 05.jpg

04 renault a 441 Polistil 04.jpg

05 renault a 441 Polistil 12.jpg

Rolls Royce Sweptail 2017

In 1973 a client wished a one-off car according his ideas. The result is the Sweptail. It is a Rolls-Royce – but like no other before. „Rolls Royce Coachbuild is the automotive equivalent of haute couture” said  Giles Taylor, director of design „and an extraordinary design collaboration between patron and artisan”. The design team developed a car that looked back to the coach-built Rolls-Royces of the 1920s and 1930s, while also incorporating secret compartments to store the client's belongings and favourite luxury items. Rolls-Royce's iconic grille has also been included in the design in milled aluminium, with the company claiming it to be the "largest grille of any modern-era Rolls". The car based on the RR Phantom Coupe with the 6.75 l V12, 453 bhp, connected to a ZF 8-speed automatic gear box. The car was produced hand-made in four years. Total production: 1. That time it was the most expensive new automobile in the world, costing around US$12.8 million.  (two years later was overtaken by the Bugatti La Voiture Noire which sold for US$18.7 million.

The model is made by XLG, China 1:24. Nice little specialities: there is a little button under the engine to help open the hood. The Spirit of Extasy can be removed for safety of tham. Moreover an extra spare one in a little plastic bag is in the box  too.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_8553.jpg

02 IMG_8554.jpg

03 IMG_8555.jpg

04 IMG_8556.jpg

05 IMG_8557.jpg

06 IMG_8586.jpg

07 IMG_8587.jpg

08 IMG_8588.jpg

09 IMG_8589.jpg

1:75 story 01

I curved some of my toys from wood 8 – 10 years old soon.  I liked the cars mostly and drew own designs.  In 1959 I got a medical scalpel from a coleague and it was my first special tool. So I started to curve autos with it.

The first 3 cars were made in 1960 and they are my designs inspired by the cars that time. The body is curved from wood . The wood was water-coloured and enamelled with boat coatings. The silver colour made of a heat resistant paint for stovepipes. The sizes of the models was determined by the lenght of the pins I used as axles. The wheels are made of rubber eraser. The head lights were the result of hole a plastic sheet, the rear lights are made of transparent red plastic of a toothbrush handle.

The black&white photos from that time are showing the cars in new condition. The cars after 62 years shown in colour.

Enjoy the pictures.

01 IMG_0002.jpg

02 IMG_0001.jpg

03 IMG_8669.jpg

04 IMG_8671.jpg

05 IMG_8659.jpg

06 IMG_8658.jpg

07 IMG_8660.jpg

08 IMG_8662.jpg

09 IMG_8661.jpg

10 IMG_8663.jpg

11 IMG_8665.jpg

12 IMG_8664.jpg

13 IMG_8666.jpg

• Like 2

Alfa Romeo Carabo 1968

The Carabo is often considered the winner of the 'Wedge War' award of 1968 and as the direct predecessor of the Lamborghini Countach and having heavily influenced many car designs to follow well into the next decade. The prototype was built on the chassis of an Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale. It was designed by Marcello Gandini, working for the Bertone design studio. It was never intended for production but was fully functional. The mid-mounted 2.0 L V8 engine made 230 bhp, able to reach a top speed of 250 km/h.

The model is made by Hotwheels in the „Red Line”. I painted the heavely play worn car according  the original. Oh good old days, when a one dollar toycar had  scissors doors operable.

Enjoy the pictures.

1 alfa romeo carabo Hotweels 01.jpg

2 alfa romeo carabo HW lett 1.jpg

3 alfa romeo carabo HW lett 2.jpg

4 alfa romeo carabo HW lett 3.jpg

5 alfa romeo carabo HW lett 8.jpg

• Like 1

Cadillac V-16 Concept 2003

Built for the 2003 Detroit Auto Show a one-off concept car that payed hommage to the V16 cars of  Cadillac’s past.   Additional original design elements were provided by an in-house design competition.

The engine was said to produce a minimum of 1,000 bhp  13577 cc. It is mated to a four-speed, electronically controlled, automatic transmission driving the rear wheels. The engine features fuel-saving Active Fuel Management "Displacement on Demand" technology,which could shut down either twelve or eight of the cylinders when the full output was not needed.  The car itself weighs about  2,270 kg. The Sixteen has hand-stitched, Tuscany leather upholstered seats, warm, hand-woven silk carpets the floor. The dash, door panels, and front and rear consoles are trimmed with walnut burl veneer inlays. There is a Cadillac logo carved out of solid crystal on the steering wheel and a Bulgari clock on the middle of dashboard. Due to the experimental nature of the car, an electronically imposed 40 mph was the top speed.

Top Gear reviewed the Cadillac 16 with its presenter James May.  He praised the Sixteen as "exactly what a Cadillac  should be".

The model made by West Coast Precision Diecast 1:24 scale.  I think the pictures tell everything. West Coast Precision Diecast done a good job.

Enjoy the pictures.

1 IMG_8548.jpg

2 IMG_8552.jpg

3 IMG_8549.jpg

4 IMG_8551.jpg

5 IMG_8550.jpg

6 IMG_8592.jpg

7 IMG_8590.jpg

8 IMG_8591.jpg

• Like 1