Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati A6GCS Spyder

And he didnt miss by much …. In fact i’d call this a damn good effort - and yes - his casted frame members were the correct diameter - but with the above Maser on its back like a turtle- and with some additional drawings - i think i can do better …

9A79E985-AC8A-42A2-A62A-81C80611ECF0.jpeg

F18E6359-998F-43E1-8662-A2FF2F7E7532.jpeg

284BA3AE-DA4C-4823-B7C4-AB9BD28C5A95.jpeg

credit for the picture of the turtled Maserati goes to the Veloce Today site - its selected from its book revu of the Maserati A6GCS book by Baumer - published by Dalton Fine Books -  - trey expensive - 

with some added research  -  fr Veloce Today, The Ultimate Car page site, Silodrome and Concept Cars Site - I've confirmed that Maserati had two entries in the "54 Sebring race - neither finished - I'll build number 42 / chassis 2053 - partly because it has changed hands several times in recent years and has been featured in a number of auction house sales with the requisite photo walk-a-rounds ....   I really prefer to photograph the cars I'm building -  2053 has eluded me thus far - but I'm confident that I'll encounter it some day in the future .... 

and by the way - the driver of the turtled A6GCS - per the Veloce book review - is said to have escaped with minor injuries

[and a new appreciation for the hazards of long distance sports car races]  ...

PS, it appears that when entered at Sebring by the owner Donald McKnought the Borrani wires were painted white. The car was shared with William Eager and a minor crash on lap 67 forced them to retire. (Maserati A6GCS by Walter Baumer and Jean-Francois Blanchette)

Regards

Dave B

Before the net I just depended on model shops and magazines.

No, no real shows or competitions down here but there are on the big island!!

Saw the 32B race at Longford back in the day.

Dave B

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

Hey wait a minute -

the 32B im (its talking a short nap) - won the - - - Tasman cup … hmmm ..

On 3/18/2024 at 1:30 PM, absmiami said:

project took a little nap whilst I searched for better info on the chassis - which Maserati was evolving on a nearly yearly basis in the early fifties.

Low and behold, I was able to glom an internet image of an A6GCS that had come to an unfortunate end in a road race back in the day...  

Page-139-accident.jpg

Oh the things we'll do just in the name of research!

12 hours ago, absmiami said:

Does Longford still have a road course - and does it have a vintage event ?      - i have read about Tasman vintage events …

Saw Clark race it in '65, I was 15, just lucky that dad was a motorsport tragic!!

They do have a revival but I don't bother going as the track, as it was, no longer exists.

There are a couple of good books on Longford.IMG_20240323_113626129.thumb.jpg.2a88540c37170653c5bd50dbf71d6357.jpg

You saw Clark in ‘65 at Longwood - - - 

Jealous …

that would have been - i think - in the 39 - still with the Climax engine - but with the chassis designed for the still-born Climax 16 - oh man - you got me goin …