Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cleaning Your Models

Since this is a non model specific question, I figured I would put this here so everyone can join into the discussion.

Like the title says, what do you use to clean off your models?

Earlier today I was cleaning off several years worth of dust from a couple of built models I had left sitting forgotten on top of a shelf in my garage and started wondering what other people use.

Right now I'm using a SOFT paint brush to clear off the biggest part of it, and will go on to q-tips and MAYBE a little soap and water if all else fails. Most of my models were built without a clear coat, so I'm concerned about the decals.

I would use compressed air regulated waaaaaaaaay down, but parts are already coming unglued and I don't want to chase them across the garage (where my air compressor is) when they come flying off.

Well, that's what I'm doing at the moment... Let's hear what your tips, tricks, and ideas are!

-Scott H.

Edited by Scott H. AKA Cpt. Bondo

You're on the right track. You can use a wide, soft brush to get off the loose dust.

To get the film buildup off you should first just try a damp polishing rag. Let that dry, and any other residue will need a stronger cleaner. Novus #1 is a liquid plastic cleaner/destatic, it's pretty forgiving stuff that will clean a lot of the residue. If you need stronger still, a little Novus #2 polish, perhaps mixed a bit w/the liquid #1 will do a good job. Use Q tips to get into the tighter corners around windows, etc.

Automotive "quick detailer" spray may also work pretty well. You might have to reglue a few parts, touchup trim paint, but dusty/dirty models can be brought back pretty well just like a real car, just be patient and careful with it. If old decals were properly applied and not flaking off, they can take a bit of light polishing without problem.

If you don't keep your models in an individual display case (which keeps them pretty much dust free), and don't have a French maid, first gently brushing off any dust, then very carefully using an automotive detailer will clean and help keep the waxed shine. I've been using Meguiar's mist & wipe Quik Detailer on lacquers and enamels, polished or not with great results. On 1/1 vehicles it really does keep the shine and protects between waxes.

I can only say that i cleaned my models when i was a kid. I would run them under the sink and dry with toilet paper and qtips LOL

Now days I only wipe finger prints off with a soft clothe or blow the tiny dust particles off. I stopped displaying in the open (outside of a case) about 6 years ago think so i could avoid cleaning.

Heres the best idea, I now it aint always the cheapest, but get one of those big display cases. You can get factory seconds sometimes. I've had mine in cases for about 4-5 years now, and they are virtually dust free. What little dust gets in there is easly kept up with. I got 3 of those cases, one had a cracked mirror backing in one section, luckily i got some spare mirror pieces, and placed it in the bad section. Another I got from MAC tools truck. It had ridden in the box and scuffed the plexi glass front. A little time with some auto polish and the scuff is gone. Both I got 1/2 normal price. The 3rd was a gift.

Of course I got lucky, individual cases could work too. Dust, is horrible, and gets all through them, I'll leave my finished kits in the box until I have a case.