Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Repperton's 1967 Camaro

gjorenby

Building Revell's 1967 Camaro SS out as Buddy Repperton's ill-fated ride from the movie Christine.  This will involving eliminating the SS related items as his car was not an SS (or a Z/28 or the RS with the hideaway headlights).

To do this I found a standard hood to replace the kits hood with the vents.  Also have a Z/28 grill coming to replace the kit's grill with the very prominent SS emblem.  I will use photo etch to get the correct grill emblem.  Interior was build stock with the addition of flocking for carpet and a photo etch steering wheel.  Although Buddy's car did not have an engine size emblem, I am going with the stock 396 with the addition of plug wires.  Now I know that the 67' 396 had the alternator on the driver's side.  The kit has the later passenger side alternator.  I didn't feel like messing with redesigning the entire belt system and besides, Buddy was a gear head, maybe he updated it?

Now here's a question for you all...was his car gray, silver, or light metallic blue???  I have seen it described all three ways.  On screen it appears gray or silver but it was only ever shown at night under street lighting.  I'm leaning to a light metallic blue...20201118_113758.thumb.jpg.a4aabd6dc483a8531be2c8f71ae61eb1.jpg20210406_203405.thumb.jpg.550729d13dc5642456db9efddef7b972.jpg20210406_203428.thumb.jpg.1e2594bed520d519902147bba014bbdf.jpg

20210408_134531.thumb.jpg.653c84c83f2864f6b2dfa7d379dc9740.jpg

Tamiya SkyBlue Anodized Aluminum (PS-49) over a base of Tamiya Bare Metal Silver (AS-12) with a generous layer of Tamiya Clear (TS-13).

Why the blue?  Well Buddy Repperton was a bully and probably insecure and not very smart.  Most likely he bought the base model Camaro from a little old lady who liked the blue color really cheap.  Remember, this is not a Z/28, SS or RS model.  And he then probably tried to compensate by putting in the 396 (hence the alternator on the wrong side for a true 1967 Camaro), turbine rims and the stripes.  Easy things to do to make it look tougher/cooler that it originally was, but still not quite the real deal of a Z/28 RS/SS.  Just a theory....anyway, I like the way the color turned out.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, gjorenby said:

Why the blue?  Well Buddy Repperton was a bully and probably insecure and not very smart.  Most likely he bought the base model Camaro from a little old lady who liked the blue color really cheap.  Remember, this is not a Z/28, SS or RS model.  And he then probably tried to compensate by putting in the 396 (hence the alternator on the wrong side for a true 1967 Camaro), turbine rims and the stripes.  Easy things to do to make it look tougher/cooler that it originally was, but still not quite the real deal of a Z/28 RS/SS.

Still, he had good taste in cars!