Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 55 Chevy Street Machine Magneto

I'm in the process of updating a build I did about 35 or 40 years ago. I built it long before I knew of anything but Testors products for building but had a fantastic paint job for my knowledge then. So I decided to rehab it using the original paint job and just rebuild it using BMF and adding some detail like plug wires and such. I noticed on the engine that it has a magneto rather than a standard distributor but I have no knowledge about them at all, would it normally just have plug wires out of the top of it just like a regular distributor?

Pic of the magneto on the directions (#10) and a pic of the car before the start of the rehab.

55_instructions.jpg

179275526_4662387333778566_5205691420316968311_n.jpg

It depends on what type of magneto it is, this one does.
A magneto is a distributor like any with the difference that a Magneto produces it's own current for the spark, so if you get the engine going when you have a magneto you don't need a battery or charging system for it to continue running and it will do so until you short it out.
Magnetos are widely used on air craft piston engines wich often have two separate magnetos, and other stuff where you need the ignition to work even if external power like a battery and alternator/generator fails.

Edited by Force

The link Casey posted has most of the necessary info you'll need. Posted by me. You're welcome.

For future reference, there are multiple tech threads on magnetos and other high-perf ignition systems.

NOTE: I had an in-depth tech article on the "other" forum, but we all know how much those guys value information, don't we?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

23 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

ok I got it, so I could put a regular distributor in it but I have noticed the kit doesn't have an alternator so I would have to add one some how to properly change over.

Actually, if it's a race-only vehicle, you only need a battery to run a distributor ignition.