Model Cars Magazine Forum

Day 2 Galaxie

Devilleish

One of my favorite kits, even with its simplicity, is the AMT '63 Galaxie 500XL. I started painting and detailing the chassis today and decided to look at how it sat. I'm building a "day 2" car with chrome steel wheels and slicks out back along with a couple of other goodies and an unconventional factory color. I had drilled the front axle hole higher to lower the nose and didn't care for it, so I put it back in the original location and was pleasantly surprised by the nose up stance. Here's quick shots of the difference. 

20210428_193924.jpg

20210428_195657.jpg

20210428_193901.jpg

Looks wicked, like it was caught mid-launch! These are such a great looking body style. I've got one I want to put a chassis from the AMT '60 underneath, it deserves the full detail treatment! Nevertheless, they do make NICE looking models right out of the box. Have you decided for sure what your non-conventional color will be?

57 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Looks wicked, like it was caught mid-launch! These are such a great looking body style. I've got one I want to put a chassis from the AMT '60 underneath, it deserves the full detail treatment! Nevertheless, they do make NICE looking models right out of the box. Have you decided for sure what your non-conventional color will be?

I decided on the color before I pulled it out of the box. It will be Rose Beige like this 1:1 car but with a white and Rose Beige interior.

I would like to give one the full detail treatment also, but I'd like to get a resin box top body to do it with and knock it down a peg to a bench seat Galaxie 500 with a 223 inline six similar to the car a friend drove in high school. 

dsc06437-1541515332033@2x.jpg

14 hours ago, Devilleish said:

One of my favorite kits, even with its simplicity, is the AMT '63 Galaxie 500XL. I started painting and detailing the chassis today and decided to look at how it sat. I'm building a "day 2" car with chrome steel wheels and slicks out back along with a couple of other goodies 

20210428_193924.jpg

This pic reminded me a LOT of a '65 Galaxie "Day 2" car I just finished a "rescue" on last week. Would love to post a pic but don't want to hijack your thread, so will wait for your blessing/permission. B)

14 hours ago, Devilleish said:

One of my favorite kits, even with its simplicity, is the AMT '63 Galaxie 500XL. I started painting and detailing the chassis today and decided to look at how it sat. I'm building a "day 2" car with chrome steel wheels and slicks out back along with a couple of other goodies and an unconventional factory color. I had drilled the front axle hole higher to lower the nose and didn't care for it, so I put it back in the original location and was pleasantly surprised by the nose up stance. Here's quick shots of the difference. 

20210428_193924.jpg

20210428_195657.jpg

20210428_193901.jpg

Looking really good. I have to agree on being a favorite. I love all the big Galaxies. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

This pic reminded me a LOT of a '65 Galaxie "Day 2" car I just finished a "rescue" on last week. Would love to post a pic but don't want to hijack your thread, so will wait for your blessing/permission. B)

By all means. I'll switch back to this '63 once things progress a bit more. 

22 minutes ago, Devilleish said:

By all means. I'll switch back to this '63 once things progress a bit more. 

Okay then! B) Here 'tis. I polished the white plastic body, and shot a bunch of white primer on the inside to make the color a bit more opaque. Doesn't look bad for a $5 toy show find. 

65FordGB13.jpg.1f1b498bf016ea979a0ac844aa7debf8.jpg

No better way to find imperfections in your bodywork than to lay some color on. I may leave it, depending on how obsessive I get, but a parting line is still showing up slightly. The Tamiya metallic pink I used is slightly brighter than the original Rose Beige but came out well enough for me to be happy with it. This is my first build in 15+ years, so I'm not going to be too picky. I'm glad I went with the staggered chrome steel wheels, they look better than I thought they would and with some detail will really stand out. 

20210504_160249.jpg