Model Cars Magazine Forum

Make Your Own "Pre-Drilled" Distributor Caps

Here are jpegs of a tutorial I did about four years ago. It's a subject that comes up frequently, so it bears a re-post, this time with tags. Everybody has their favorite way of accomplishing this task. There are some very nice aftermarket items out there, to be sure. I think that, back in the early-mid '70's, I built a couple of pieces with nine wires stuffed into a single hole drilled in the cap, before I decided that just wasn't acceptable, for me. Next, I began drilling nine holes (or five, or seven...) that's what's called a "painus in the anus"! Some time around 1985, Don Fahrni obtained some dental casting resin. We sought out a supply house from which to buy Dow RTV silicone rubber to make molds, and began making parts, mostly for fuel cars. One day Don noticed that he could fit "Bell wire" insulation into the nubs of a distributor cap mold. He added the dental resin, and, for us, at least, the rest was history. Neither of us ever used anything else for distributor/mag caps, again.

These materials are relatively inexpensive, and once you've acquired them, you'll find many uses for them. Just the other day, I made  a two-piece mold from it, so that I could make a set of knock-offs for my supermodified. I only had a single copy. Within an hour and a half, I had a set of four that simply need to be cleaned up. These are the kind of supplies it's always helpful to have around! I think everything is pretty clearly explained. If you have any questions, ask away! 

Page1.jpg.b930b27db888ec6f8412458a9625e21f.jpg

544804250_Page2.jpg.c2bdeb22b3a81f88c3b432e525ba5b79.jpg

2062990037_Page3.jpg.6e690117ce942fa7b60b0aed70a12e81.jpg

DSC_0080cr.jpg.9f8e25874c8705e0cea35f36642576f7.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

10 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

I was thinking about making copies of the AMT '57 Chevy Street Machine distributor that has the plug wire holes already pre drilled....

I have found it difficult to get tiny holes to fill with rubber. I don't have a vacuum tank or pressure pot, however. I think that will make a difference.

41 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Can you give suggestions where to buy the supplies?

The mold putty is at Hobby Lobby, or, I usually just order it on Ebay. The nail resin can also be ordered online. Some Walmarts carry it, as well.  Also, Sally Beauty Supply carries it. It's much easier to find, that it once was.

14 hours ago, Mile High Scale Modeler said:

This is awesome! Definitely better than what I was going to do - resin cast duplicates which would have been harder to do with rubber as you stated in a previous comment. Well done!

Thank you, sir! This is so easy, it's ridiculous!

On 5/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, Mile High Scale Modeler said:

This is awesome! Definitely better than what I was going to do - resin cast duplicates which would have been harder to do with rubber as you stated in a previous comment. Well done!

Where are you located? In the Denver area?