Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:24 Gunze Sangyo Toyota Hiace kit

I've had this one for a good 10 years now, wanting to do something a little different this time I thought I'd give it a go.

It's fairly simplistic, with a generic chassis that's shared with another van in range.

Funky accessories including a couple of skateboards, surfboard and R/C helicopter! The other van I have includes scuba diving gear.

I don't plan to build it with the decals. I'm going for a more standard look, either in this beige or perhaps a pale yellow which I recall they did offer on this generation.

Quick mock-up on the Fujimi Aoshima accessory wheel set. I don't have too many 5-stud alloys to choose from, but these should suit it well. The Hiace shares the same 5x114.3mm/4.5" stud pattern as the larger Toyota and Nissan cars, and also Mopar/Jeep?, so they can be seen with all sorts of wheels.

I found this old press photo, which convinced me the front spoiler had to go. I also opened-up the vent below the bumper. Overall it looks like a reasonably faithful recreation.

The sliding side door and top-hinged tailgate fit nicely.

My plan for its look is a plain and simple exterior with a day van interior, lowered and sitting on the period alloys. Maybe the owner got hold of a really clean minibus from a church or community group, and has fitted some of the interior from a rotten camper? I can recall seeing photos of similar things at Japanese shows, sometimes with a selection of old car parts, brochures, magazines etc for sale on the ground outside. I'd happily have such a thing at 1:1 and do the same myself!

Just about to get some primer on it and will trial some colours today.

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

That's pretty neat. I like the oddball stuff!

Thanks Dan, me too!

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

I like it too. I don't believe I have ever seen that one before.

I don't recall seeing many others for sale here. Seems like this was one was sold at a UK shop when new, it has a price tag for £7.99 from Park Toys who were up north - that price is about right for a kit sold in the '80s.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

• 2 years later...

Didn't realise it was over two years ago since I last did anything on this one!

IMG_5348.JPG.f32a58cbed5acf460d9502929bd47108.JPG

Not sure that I've actually done a lot more now, but I've been spurred onto making some progress with it.

IMG_5347.JPG.4f24bc5e2451faa009832da3154ec392.JPG

The paint went on in 2021, from memory Sandalwood Beige (Halfords automotive paint intended for a 1980s Austin-Rover). Now got to summon up courage to paint the trims along the bodywork and around all those windows.

Sliding door seems to fit OK-ish. Ride height is about as low as it will go without surgery - I think it'll suit it OK as above, some lower profile tyres would help.

Big thing now is the interior, and maybe some accessories - it might end up with the inflatable boat from the AMT Hilux kit as well as what came with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't end up doing much more this one back in the summer, but with a bit of holiday over the last week I've managed to make some progress.

IMG_9198.JPG.a35212fc43b58d3cb14e6f2f178223d3.JPG

Most of the interior has been painted, just needs tidying/detailing and I used some leftover woodgrain side panel decals from a Revell Chevelle Wagon kit to do the table top.

Rear axle and suspension sorted and I've made a start on the tedious job of painting window trims. There's a quite a bit of detailing required on the bodywork, but doing a reasonable job on that will elevate it from something quite toylike into a presentable model.

Handily I saw a really nice 1:1 Hiace in France when on holiday this summer:

Toyota Hiace

Toyota Hiace

Toyota Hiace

This one was for sale. Would love to have been in a position to have bought it, but I'll have to make do with my kit for now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made good progress on this one today, keen to get it finished so I can start another new build (or two, or more....).

IMG_9264.JPG.f57c751539d83dd154b9e68b777a9cff.JPG

Partway through detailing the wheels. They're Hoshine Impul D-01, although the box calls them Silhouette which is an updated version with extra bolts around the rim. I've since done them all and tidied them up a bit.

IMG_9278.JPG.f406a06b3033b19d2e2ccc8c9239eae4.JPG

I'm now at the point where most parts are off the sprues, painted and ready to fit, or at least in progress. Suspension is fairly basic due to it being a kit that could motorized, but it's fine for a curbside.

At this point I had to see if everything fitted together - I was nervous about the sliding door and that tall bulkhead.

IMG_9287.JPG.197f95e874ba2ae539bb812284496cee.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG.57c2c7ba5845fdc2702662335af7c46e.JPG

A little bit of final detailing and tidying required, but it went together OK and it certainly looks like a Hiace.

I opted to apply BMF to the lower body trim, as it matches the chrome bumpers and I couldn't face more 'black' painting (actually Revell Anthracite #9).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Nice job so far! I really like that kit, so glad you decided to build and show it off!

Thanks Bob. Just doing a quick search, seen a few different boxed versions with alternative graphics but so far I can only find one other built example!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:43 AM, tooltime-fan said:

Great Inspiration build so far.

Fanny side note: I just bought the same kit off ebay After long search for one of the though I rather would have put my hands on a vanette from that series

Thanks, and good to know someone else has one! I have the Urvan/Caravan E20 too, but I'd love to get the Vanette as well - there was one on eBay here, but it was something like £150....

Final shots before I plan to get it finished at the weekend:

IMG_9322.JPG.5eb53b55ee8af85c6c59d0d6dcc78c20.JPG

IMG_9329.JPG.d1cd81140c19278b0624c12613e06611.JPG

IMG_9331.JPG.20579aea1c561e37baf42585e05d1875.JPG

Rear door isn't properly fitted yet. Dots in the glass are from where it should have a chrome porthole surround.

IMG_9332.JPG.b09f8dc2ddfad5ec1b19c1ddfd0b4882.JPG

I added the accessories that came with it and added some deckchairs, cushions and drink cans from a Fujimi parts pack plus the dinghy from an AMT Hilux.

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 2