Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/20th scale Ligier JS11

A brief box-stock project that I'm enjoying. This is the Tamiya 1/20th scale 1979 Ligier JS11. The kit decals were toast on account of the age of the kit, so I'm using a set from Indycals which will allow me to build the car numbered and lettered for Jacky Ickx's brief time as a stand-in for the injured Patrick Depallier. Color is Mr Color C-34 Sky Blue under Tamiya TS-13 Clear.

191698507_349196986561598_8422999959444488950_n.jpg

189727526_1387143238314937_3348304212842864371_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Happy Gilmour said:

Hey Justin, 

Looks awesome, just wondering what the chrome on the front wing is? It looks really realistic, great detail on the engine too

Will definitely follow

Thank you. The kit parts were actually already chrome, so that's just the kit chrome. I was considering knocking a bit of the shine off with a semi-matte clear but decided against it because I want the car to pop in my display case. 

14 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Thank you. The kit parts were actually already chrome, so that's just the kit chrome. I was considering knocking a bit of the shine off with a semi-matte clear but decided against it because I want the car to pop in my display case. 

Oh ok cool, thanks for that Justin, looks great 

Thank you Justin for posting the WIP on this kit. So far you are doing a beautiful job on this one.

I love 70’s F1 cars and have this kit in my stash to build someday so I will benefit much from your postings. I have also had to replace old Tamiya decals with Indycals on my WR1 and 312T3 kits and had mixed results with them. One set was incredibly fragile/brittle and tore on me during application but Indycals happily replaced them at no cost so I’ll still be using them for future projects. They are very thin which is nice but I do wish they would provide them pre-cut.

I read Ebbro is coming out with new tooled Tyrrell 005 and Lotus 33 1/20 kits so my stash will continue to grow quicker than I can build (a good thing!).