Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Is The Dentist Office So Scarey?

As one whom has a propensity toward vertigo , and having a mostly-manageable anxiety issue ( side bar : I subscribe to the 'GABA Theory' as it pertains to panic / anxiety ; I summarily dismiss the serotonin theory... ) , I've always found trips to the dentist to be a frightening experience . 

I'm not concerned with the credibility of the dentists I've been to over my 51 years ( pædiatric , then three 'adult' practises ) , but rather the environment of the respective offices : oddly-angled furniture ; overhead contraptions ; bright lighting ; Medieval appearing instruments ( " Is it safe ? " ) ; and the "floating" sensation from my brain's recoiling in horror .

I have some molars which need to be extracted , and I MUST be "knocked-out" for the procedure . Since my sinuses dip-into my gum line so deeply , the chance of 'perforation' of my sinuses is great. Even the Oral Surgeon asserted that I need to be anesthetised because of the high-probability of perforation . 

Because of the anesthesia , the otherwise-simple extraction is now a $ 1,750 ordeal . So , yeah... been putting-off having that cost-of-a-rebuilt-transmission procedure performed . 

I now have a question for our fellow members whom reside in Canada , Europe , etc. , etc. : Do you folks have good dental insurance ? If so , is there any out-of-pocket expense ?

*DISCLAIMERI'm definitely NOT inquiring about this for any reason other than my curiosity . I'm NOT attempting to "back-door" a political argument .

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I now have a question for our fellow members whom reside in Canada , Europe , etc. , etc. : Do you folks have good dental insurance ? If so , is there any out-of-pocket expense ?

*DISCLAIMERI'm definitely NOT inquiring about this for any reason other than my curiosity . I'm NOT attempting to "back-door" a political argument .

Dental coverage by employers and through our health insurance providers is typically pretty good. Almost all procedures have at least 80-90% coverage. Orthodontics or cosmetic dentistry, such as braces are not covered, so those are out of pocket. Each of my kids needed braces, to the tune of $8k CDN each!

A couple of years ago, I had some receding gums on one side. The surgery for that totaled around $3800, but I only had out of pocket of less than $200.

I had a routine appointment about a month ago for a routine checkup and cleaning, and there was no charge.

Had a follow up with an orthodontist for some work I'm thinking about, and there was no cost. If I choose to move forward though, it could get pricey. I've always had healthy teeth, but they're not straight at all. It's always bugged me, so now I'm thinking about doing something about it. Purely cosmetic, so no insurance coverage.  

The coverages also extend to immediate family, so my wife and both kids receive the exact same coverage I do.

Different employers use different insurance providers though ,and they're all a little different in terms of coverages offered. Employers can also decide how much they want covered. This in turn affects the insurance premiums we have deducted from our pay. So here in Canada, our health coverage isn't exactly free, but I'm happy with how it works out. Especially considering I had some major surgery, a week-long hospital stay, and 8 weeks of short term disability last year. Can't imagine what that would have cost. ENT surgeon, neuro-surgeon, anesthesiologist, 5 nights in a private hospital room, pre-surgery and post-surgery MRIs, etc. 

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

On a related note, how exactly does health / dental work in the US? Get the work done, get an invoice?

Like yourself, genuinely curious. :)

24 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

On a related note, how exactly does health / dental work in the US? Get the work done, get an invoice?

Like yourself, genuinely curious. :)

Thanks , firstly , for your detailed reply .  I can only attest  to my own experiences , past and present  ; health , dental , vision , etc. 

When I was young , my mum had outstanding insurance ; she worked for the telephone company ( G.T.E. , which became Verizon a few years before she retired ) , and they offered excellent benefits. I can only recall her and my dad talking about how " The co-pays are increasing , and the coverage percentage hasn't budged [ since prior to 1980 ]..." .  Long story short , that $ 1,000 / year which was covered by the insurance company for dental , was amazing in , say , 1975 , but was a pittance by 1980 , ad seq. 

I pay out-of-pocket for visits to my G.P. ( primary physician ) , as he doesn't accept the health coverage that I have via Covered California [ et al. ] . I'm fine with that , as my rapport with him goes back 20 years . He did accept my insurance  ( Blue Shield ) when I was employed , but the co-pay was ridiculous . Truly , it's not much more than my out-of-pocket payment  --- this whole reverse-deductible mess which is the common practise in the U.S. these days , is a joke . 

Truthfully , I don't trust most of the dental practitioners on the regional Covered California roster . Oftentimes , their offices are located in the same centre as , say , an oil change / lube garage , a dry cleaners , and a donut shop . Then there's their 'assembly line' manner of handling patients ; you may not see the same Dentist more than once . So , I pay O.O.P. annually for x-rays / cleaning at an office that's in an actual medical centre ( haha ) . Those trips cost me +/- $ 110 , which is a bargain . 

Prescriptions are zero cost ; lab work is zero cost . I'm quite happy with the coverage that I have . 

I wish that I had a more comprehensive , all-encompassing answer for you , but unfortunately , I don't . Suffice it to say , the 'reverse-deductible' which most folks are stuck with here is a ridiculous notion and practise .

@Pete J.-- you need to clean out your messages. 

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Where do you go Dave?  I was in the chair for a cleaning yesterday as well.  I have been going to the same dental "organization" for over thirty years and am on the third dentist that has owned the practice.  I did realize that some people couldn't here the ultrasonic tool.  I have had issues with a tooth that was super sensitive to that piece of equipment. 

I think the main issue with dentistry is the anticipation on the part of the patient.  I have never felt as much inflicted pain anywhere as I have in the dentist chair.  Although it is infrequent I am still tense in anticipation of them hitting that one spot that brings me out of the chair.  That is why I am no fan of dentistry.  

Plaza Dentistry in Rancho Bernardo.

I started talking about my antipathy with the hygenist. It helps. I also have to keep reminding myself that she's caring, capable, and competent. That goes a long way toward relieving my discomfort.