Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Discontinuing NASCAR Model Kits

I think way too much of this has been made personal. It seems to me that most of us that are happy with the Revell decision are long time fans who feel betrayed by nascar. I feel the same way about goodyear. That doesn't mean that I'm not going to like cars with goodyears on them. It means that I don't like the model industry being held hostage by greed. Especially since they are doing further advertising for the product anyways!

As for no love for nascar models, that just simply isn't accurate. I wish F1, indy's, ALMS, etc got a fraction of the "love". Please don't mistake distaste for corporate greed for distaste of your models.

Cheers,

Greg

To bring this back to the original post...I have a suggestion for all those who might feel the need to write to NASCAR to complain. I doubt if that would do any good at all. But maybe take the same tack that other dissatisfied consumers do when facing something similar....Write to the sponsors! Make a stink with the companies who supply the money!

Look what happened to Don Imus when all those consumers complained to the sponsors...Imus was gone quickly!

Just a thought...

Terry

Writing anyone at this stage would be a waste of time and energy, IMO, and I think if you wrote to the sponsors, you'd get a lot of very bewildered reactions.

You simply can't force a company to make a product for which not enough demand exists for that company to turn a profit. It's Economics 101. And, I'm sorry, the licensing issue, while obviously a factor, is only part of the equation here.

Precisely. Let's not forget that Big Lots is blowing out Revell NASCAR kits for 5 bucks. That's all the sign anyone needs to know that sector of the market is essentially dead from a marketing perspective. I feel bad for those who will be hurt by the lack of new product, but they have to realize that the enemy is not us, it is NASCAR.

sooo for the last 20 years...or so? B)

Nothing past the mid-late 70's has ever interested me w/NASCAR; the more commercialized it got, the less I was interested. Too much commercialization generally corrupts anything in racing, especially when you get to the NASCAR and F1 levels. Fans at our level are about the last thing they care about.

Nothing past the mid-late 70's has ever interested me w/NASCAR; the more commercialized it got, the less I was interested. Too much commercialization generally corrupts anything in racing, especially when you get to the NASCAR and F1 levels. Fans at our level are about the last thing they care about.

Which is what's sad. Grand Am and USTCC and Touring Cars and rally in general are still good ones but nope, you never hear about them, it doesn't bring in 35 million a month. B)

Which is what's sad. Grand Am and USTCC and Touring Cars and rally in general are still good ones but nope, you never hear about them, it doesn't bring in 35 million a month. B)

I read something today about Grand Am being under the NASCAR banner now... or are you referring to some other Grand Am series? I confess that I'm not that familiar with this series. However, if it is the same series you have my condolences.

ron

My first model made was a 1:32 Davey Allison snap tite! Second,monograms 1:24 scale Davey Allison texaco car! I used to love NASCAR! Texaco oil at all oil changes and tried to always fill up at a texaco station,in other words die hard sponsor supporter ;) .After Davey's tragedy,my fav. driver was Ernie Irvan, man I loved that texaco scheme!

Here is where the turning point comes for me. Ernie wanted royalities for the use of his likeness (who wouldn't?) and an very emotional awards banquet snafu,he forgot to thank texaco (BIG nono!!),he was fired from RYR (a texaco demand!)! First rate driver goes to a second rate team and never recovers! I seriously tried to watch after that!

Tony Stewart brought in a new "fire" that was missing,but even he is now a shell of his former self!

As for Nascar models,I will still build and display them! I wanted a few COT's to build,but I still prefer the older kits to the newer!

Dan

Guest 66dragfreak

Dan, one thing to keep in mind with Ernie was the fact his injuries continued to plague him from his crash at Michigan. While he did make a comeback, and even won a race after his crash, his ability to successfully navigate race traffic was severely compromised and he realized it and got out of the car.

Something else to keep in mind from this announcement is that several aftermarket companies will be severely impacted from this. Decal makers, resin casters and the like will all suffer as well. It's a domino effect and it will be interesting to say the least to see who survives and who goes away.

Again, it is indeed a sad day for Nascar modelers, but I really hope by making this move it will free up more funds for developing and designing new kits of subjects we don't currently have, or even bringing back kits that have disappeared over the years.

And , another note regarding the licensing of the Nascar kits people. The new car is owned by Nascar, not the automakers. if you look on the old Nascar kits, you'll see the automakers emblems on the box, recognizing where Revell obtained the rights from. With Nascar owning the new car, I can just imagine how much France wanted from Revell to cast a kit of "his" car as he so eloquently puts it. That is most likely where the issues arose that led to this whole fiasco...

I read something today about Grand Am being under the NASCAR banner now... or are you referring to some other Grand Am series? I confess that I'm not that familiar with this series. However, if it is the same series you have my condolences.

ron

It's the Rolex Grand Am series.

Sports Car racing has been the fast growing segment for a few years now.

Guest 66dragfreak

One Nascar decal maker has already announced he is going out of business at the end of the year. Another resin caster who specialzes in strictly Nascar is also most likely done.

How long will Mike's Decals survive with this news? He deals strictly in Nascar decals and kits. Sure, he might survive for a couple years, but, unless these guys change their lineup of products, they WILL be affected. How can you NOT say they won't be affected?

With all this talk going on about NASCAR ans Revell......Its Friday and I need a DRINK :D

And Im serving it up in one of my CUPS :D

If you think bowls are bigger than cups....you havent seen my wifes coffee cup....it holds close to 3 quarts of liquid.....

....AND THATS THE CUP IM MAKING MY DRINK IN BWAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA ;)

ron

Thanks and cool. That has been for a while. They use the Daytona circuit but NA$CAR hasn't really affected it really, not at all. It has probably the best racing in Sports Car racing and the drivers even stated, even if the fans didn't come and no ownership, they would still race because it's fun and that's what they love to do.

It's the Rolex Grand Am series.

Sports Car racing has been the fast growing segment for a few years now.

oh yeah B) I wonder why...? :D:lol: