Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Lacquer

Don't worry, Testors and Tamiya lacquers are not hot lacquers, they're safe to put over styrene w/o any barrier. Unless the styrene has already had crazing/lacquer damage from previous coats. On fresh plastic it's fine.

How right you are Bob, I am beginning to think they are some kind of modified enamels. I just found at recently I can mix Krylon paints with Tamiya's TS paints and they airbrush fine. Krylon paints are an Acrylic Enamel.

I just resprayed a 64 impala with Testors Fathom Green Metallic (both coats were the lacquer) on to bare spots on the plastic. I had no problems with it whatsoever. I grew up in my dad’s auto body shop, so I know what lacquer smells like; very wicked stuff. This stuff smelled the same; Dad is gone now, but the memories it brought back far outweighed the fumes.

I had a hand in making and Designing the new Testors paints and they will work fine on any plastic. Even most of the new automotive paint have been toned down, I remember back in the day the automotive paint would melt the plastic if you layed it on to thick.