Model Cars Magazine Forum

New way to strip paint from bodies, safe and simple!

On 6/29/2022 at 2:52 AM, peteski said:

Well, the product videos look impressive, but the shipping process is not so hot.

I placed my order on June 23rd, and next day (June 24th) I received an email stating "product has been shipped", along with the USPS tracking number. 

I keep checking the tracking info every day, and as of now (June 29th) the tracking info still shows "June 24, 2022 at 1:03pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item".   Not cool.  EBay sellers sometimes do this too.  I live in adjacent state, so when the package actually gets shipped, I should get it in couple of days.  But so far it has been sitting unsent for 5 days.

Pete, He was away for 5 days and has a helper packing and shipping. Not sure why he did not email anyone that was waiting. 

27 minutes ago, 69H.O.Firebird said:

Pete, He was away for 5 days and has a helper packing and shipping. Not sure why he did not email anyone that was waiting. 

That's fine.  The package arrived yesterday. It is just that this was my first order from a new company, and I was surprised how it was handled.  Now I have to find something to strip.  It will likely be a model train shell since that is what I'm working on nowadays.

The product comes with 2 pages of info. One is safety instructions, and the other is usage instructions.  That page only has a single sentence about using it for stripping models. The rest is about procedure for stripping paint from wooden surfaces like furniture (since this is the product's main use).

Like HPIGuy mentioned in his video, this stuff has a very mild odor, but to me it smells a bit like pine, rather than like than alcohol.  If it contains  alcohol, it is likely not very much, since it is not flammable (and alcohol is).

I'm surprised that the the label on the bottle does not have any details about the manufacturers (except  for "A product of StripWell"). Usually product labels contain either address, phone number, a company's website.  Not that it is a problem - just making an observation.

The package included spray pump and a siphon tube (since the product is meant to be sprayed over larger surfaces).  The bottles are sealed,  In my bottles, after the factory seal was removed, the screw-on cap does not provide tight seal.  I found replacement screw-on caps with gaskets which sealed the bottle properly.  Again, not a big problem since most of us will pour the contents of the bottle into some larger container for stripping car bodies.

Once I find something to strip I'll give it a try and report back.   I have experimented with more than half a dozen of plastic safe strippers (including some home-brewed stuff) and I would welcome a universal stripper which works well on all finishes, and which is safe for polystyrene, ABS, and hopefully for polyurethane resins.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a bad experience when an acrylic paint job went pear shaped recently.

It was automotive primer, Tamiya gloss and a clear lacquer on top that a suicidal insect decided to land on just after spraying.

Fortunately I had some Isopropyl Alchohol that a friend gave me some time ago that did the trick. I just used kitchen roll tissue soaked in it to gradually remove the ruined paint job. Panel lines and other nooks and crannies were cleared with an old toothbrush and wooden cocktail sticks. A good wash with water and washing up liquid afterwards and left to dry and it was ready to repaint.

• 7 months later...