Model Cars Magazine Forum

coupster

plumnuts

this build was very enjoyable for me. several new things in the bag of tricks for me. mods consist of motor swap from the chev 350 to a big HIMI. molded front end then flipped it. cut off the top and choped it and fit it to set on ,but stay removable.

cut back fire wall to fit the motor. opened trunk and fab trunk panels and hinge lid. frenched tail lights. fab up floating arm rest.

and the bigest mod for me was the seat, scrach built seat and molded into deck lid down to floor. I'm sure I'm missing some ,but I'll let you see for yourself.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

enjoy the pics and tips for the next build are welcome. :)

Ah, yes! Plumnuts. SWEET! with or without the top.

Awesome colors, stance, wheels, everything!

Whatta ya think about a pinstripe between the colors?

hay CB that sounds great. you know anybody that can lay a stripe that small? cause I sure as heck can't. :o

honestly CB the thaught crossed my mind ,but don,t know if I could pull it off yet. B) still spraying with cans and feel a stripe of that size needs a air brush at a low psi. to cut back on the buildup. I'm starting to play with the airbrush and may go back later and stripe it when I'm comfortable. :lol:

Ah, yes! Plumnuts. SWEET! with or without the top.

Awesome colors, stance, wheels, everything!

Whatta ya think about a pinstripe between the colors?

hay CB that sounds great. you know anybody that can lay a stripe that small? cause I sure as heck can't. :o

honestly CB the thaught crossed my mind ,but don,t know if I could pull it off yet. :P still spraying with cans and feel a stripe of that size needs a air brush at a low psi. to cut back on the buildup. I'm starting to play with the airbrush and may go back later and stripe it when I'm comfortable.

I Totally agree w/CB ;):D

And you can pinstripe this by using the "trick tape"

the 3 stripes on the hood were done with a sharpie(quick!!!)

1/16, 1/32, 1/64 all in inches

IMG_0646.jpg

http://www.finessepinstriping.com/striper_order.asp

go to this site and read how this stuff works.....it Does!!! :D:D

Edited by MikeMc

This one was sprayed on as my first test...worked well once I figured it out.

This will work well for you , If your paint is lacquer, use acryllic with a brush for

your striping after a coat or two of clear...then if it doesn't work for you just rub or polish it off!!!

IMG_0723.jpg

hay CB that sounds great. you know anybody that can lay a stripe that small? cause I sure as heck can't. :D

honestly CB the thaught crossed my mind ,but don,t know if I could pull it off yet. ;) still spraying with cans and feel a stripe of that size needs a air brush at a low psi. to cut back on the buildup. I'm starting to play with the airbrush and may go back later and stripe it when I'm comfortable. :D

Hey Mike :P

In regards to the pinstripe idea here's another thing to consider.

I paint a lot of my own color seperation lines, but there's times when I want something that just does it for me that's different.

For me I like as many tools in my "Arsenal of Weapons" as possible, and a few years ago I found this brand of Pinstripe tapes by LINE O TAPE at my LHS, that just works great. Lot's of colors available too.

1/64" and up to 3/16, maybe 1/4??. I just just use the 1/64th myself.

Here's a few pics. I hope this may help you and maybe some of the other guy's.

All the best - dave :D

2008_1219Photobucket10049.jpg

2008_1219Photobucket10052.jpg

I think you can see the white 1/64th pinstipe on the body line of this '40. Very clean, and has stayed put after a year. Just clean the area real good with soap and water after polishing and it sticks great. The '34 in the background has the same tape on it.

2008_1219Photobucket10050.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Beautiful build bro. Tha color scheme is KILLER it looks great w/ the roof on, but PERFECT with it off :D .

BTW.... mind sharing how you accomplished the foward flip hood? I'm am trying to do the same thing with my 39 chevy street rod, and am absolutely STUMPED :o

brian, I would be happy to share. I didn't take a pic of it as i was building (sorry) but I did draw up how it was done.

hope this helps, it worked out great for me. if you have any more questions just ask and I'll try for a pic of it.

IMG_0607_1.jpg

:o

• 4 weeks later...

for the guys that suggested a pinstrip you were right, :D thank for the guys that gave me tips on the pinstripe tape. :D

went online to buy some pinstripe tape till I saw the price :P . so I came up with somthing else and it was free.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

I went to a sign shop and spoke with the guy and he gave me a box of his scraps.

layed it on the bench with a ruler and ran a razor down it and made this pinstripe. :D

That pin stripe is the final little detail that really sets this car apart. Great choice of color for it. I have done the exact same thing. My brother is a sign maker and graphic artist. I have many scraps of vinyl too for strips. We also design flame and graphic pinting masks. Maybe you could ask this guy if that is something he could do with you? If he has a vinyl cutter, he must if he has vinyl, just take a photo of the car, scale it out in the computer, he should be able to do that, hit the clipart file and go to town. There are thousands of designs that can work on the cars. Once cut, you "pick" out the unused area, put on "premask" carrier and you are ready to lay it on the car and apply paint. Take off the mask as the paint is drying and you will have a perfect painted on graphic. It is easy and looks great. Anyway, great job, this is a sweet little street rod.