Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Monroe RE-Handler Mustang

Rdkingjay

I have dubbed this project RE-Handler.  I am starting out with a complete Monroe Handler Mustang I found at a swap meet a few years ago.  The decal sheet is gone, but everything else is there.  Examination of the kit reveals a fairly easy kit to put together for younger modelers. I did notice that it came with a ladder type frame, front to rear, which I thought was odd since they are unitized bodied cars.  But It gave me an idea.  Long story short, I will be swapping in a chassis, suspension and interior from the AMT 1988 Mustang.  I found a modern looking set of centerline wheels and low pro tires from Pegasus to keep with the original looking wheel.  Luckily the wheel base is the same, so no major chassis surgery is needed, but the 88 dash may have to be moved back just a bit.  I will be using an after market Ford engine kit and transmission.  Finally, the color will be a candy yellow called Lemon Glow. 

If anyone has a decal sheet for this car, I'd be happy to purchase it from you.  Thanks in advance.

thumbnail_IMG_9267.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9292.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like a solid plan ! 

Those 1970's - early 1980's Revell kits were truly generic in every aspect except  for the bodies : same generic V8 ; same generic chassis & suspension ; same tyres & wheels ( okay , some variation of the latter ; some had Centerline-type wheels , whereas others had the 'Vector' type wheels ) .

The Fox Body upgrades to the Pinto-based Mustang II should be a happy marriage . I like your colour choices ! 

The decal sheet is going to be a tough find.  An unbuilt kit tends to sell for a good amount with the decal sheet and as far as I know the sheet has not been copied and reprinted by any of the aftermarket decal makers.  Good luck in your search.

6F475846-CDFA-4371-B30A-AB7C4FBA7B17.jpeg

57BC9F7C-1B34-465C-A9DB-BA59D1C7BC85.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Billy Gooche made copies of those decals. I understand his daughter sold them after he passed away.

I did buy some decals from her on e-bay years ago but they stopped  selling on e-bay.

IIRC, some of the members have bought decals from them more recently, maybe someone can tell you how to get in touch. 

monroehandlermust

• Like 1

Pegasus wheels/tires showed up. Just mocked up. A tad high in the rear and too low up front, but you get the idea.  It'll have more of a level stance. May have also solved my decal sheet dilemma, as well.

Onward...

thumbnail_IMG_9295.jpg

Edited by Rdkingjay
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello there,  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project. Putting the '88 chassis underneath it sounds interesting. Built one of these myself a few years ago. What I did was mate the MPC interior and chassis to it. Also what I did was to buy an unopened Handler kit from EBAY, then bought a Billy Gooche decal sheet...sold it and used a California Cobra kit with an engine from an AMT Thunderbird Nascar kit. 🤷‍♂️

https://public.fotki.com/lotso/monroe-handler-project/17-460586237403.html#media

Edited by madhorseman
grammar

13 hours ago, madhorseman said:

Hello there,  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project. Putting the '88 chassis underneath it sounds interesting. Built one of these myself a few years ago. What I did was mate the MPC interior and chassis to it. Also what I did was to buy an unopened Handler kit from EBAY, then bought a Billy Gooche decal sheet...sold it and used a California Cobra kit with an engine from an AMT Thunderbird Nascar kit. 🤷‍♂️

https://public.fotki.com/lotso/monroe-handler-project/17-460586237403.html#media

29 minutes ago, catpack68 said:

Looking forward to seeing more progress on it. I remember building this one as a kid. I wouldn’t mind having another one to build.

Um, if you guys hover your cursors over Jay's avatar, you'll see he hasn't been here in almost a year. I don't think I'd hold out much chance on getting an update. 😔

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Um, if you guys hover your cursors over Jay's avatar, you'll see he hasn't been here in almost a year. I don't think I'd hold out much chance on getting an update. 😔

Well, I'm just coming back on here after being away for 3 years after the loss of my wife. So just maybe he(jay) just needs some time off. 

Jay, I hope all is well with you.

1 hour ago, madhorseman said:

Well, I'm just coming back on here after being away for 3 years after the loss of my wife. So just maybe he(jay) just needs some time off. 

Jay, I hope all is well with you.

Sorry to hear that Roy. 

Ya never know, people come and go. He might even come back under a different screen name, who knows, I did once.