Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scaled tarmac / asphalt

Jamese30

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice here on what people use on their dioramas for tarmac. 

I've heard people using 120grit sand paper, and aware there are some model railway tarmac options and even AK do a two paint tarmac kit but not heard of what success people have.

I have tried tile adhesive/grout as the colour is really close (image attached) but it is hard to get a consistent finish.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

16341161985011526180890883884184.jpg

Thansk guys,

Definitely something to think about. I'm in UK and sadly we don't have the selection you guys in the US have in your DIY stores.

I do like the inconsistency of the tile adhesive was just wondering if there is anything better or easier to apply. I haven't tried painting lines on it yet but will give it a go to see whether it works or not.

Thanks

James

On 10/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, Jamese30 said:

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice here on what people use on their dioramas for tarmac. 

I've heard people using 120grit sand paper, and aware there are some model railway tarmac options and even AK do a two paint tarmac kit but not heard of what success people have.

I have tried tile adhesive/grout as the colour is really close (image attached) but it is hard to get a consistent finish.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

16341161985011526180890883884184.jpg

James- That example you showed looks great, the 'inconsistent finish' is what makes it look real; like an English country road that I got lost on (more than once). Check out the "Asphalt Base" thread by Beans (use 'Search') on this forum for other suggestions.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, chris chabre said:

I think the key to realistic asphalt may be not to have a consistent finish. I think what you have looks good. I was looking at my long board (skateboard) grip tape the other day as a possible donor for something I have in mind.

I agree with Chris. 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...