Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow Liquid Chrome pens

On 11/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, Hi-Po said:

I have been using the Molotow chrome pens for about four years now and I really like how they perform.  But I do have a question about their longevity.  Lately, I have noticed that both of the 1mm pens are no longer producing a chrome finish, more of a dull silver look, even after I have shaken the pens for quite some time.  I know the chrome is still liquid as I can feel it when I shake the pen.  One of the pens is about 3 years old and the other one is maybe 18 months old.  I usually store the pens laying down on their sides, so that the chrome doesn't settle in the tip or bottom of the pen. 

Is anyone else having the same problem with these pens?  Is there a shelf life or storage problem?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for looking.

I too am having the same issue with my 1mm pen and also store mine the same way. The pen is less than 6 months old. My 2mm and 4mm do not have this issue at all

They keep better if you store them point up and at a consistent cool temp. Temp variations seem to affect them badly. You can also try taping the caps to keep the air out. I'm still using my first ones from years ago but I flip the tips after use as I reshaped the ends

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Paint will last forever if it's sealed properly.

Steve

Judging by all of those funny little yellow faces that this post generated, I'm assuming that some people took this statement in a "literal" sense.

I didn't think that I had to spell it out, but I'll just say, yes, I know, nothing lasts forever.

I suppose that it was my mistake to expect that it would be understood what is generally meant when someone says that something "lasts forever".

Apparently, from now on, I need to be more precise in my statements.

At least on this forum. :rolleyes:

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Confused 3

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a p51 Mustang and painted the landing gear with Tamiya aluminum and then used Molotaw chrome to do the cylinder part and the pen over the aluminum never really dried. It became soft and melted into the paint when I touched it. Anybody else have this happen?

greg

2 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I'm working on a p51 Mustang and painted the landing gear with Tamiya aluminum and then used Molotaw chrome to do the cylinder part and the pen over the aluminum never really dried. It became soft and melted into the paint when I touched it. Anybody else have this happen?

greg

how long had the tamiya paint sat for before you udes the molotowe? I've used it over the gold leaf and it dried fine but i had let the tamiya dry for about a week before.

Which Tamiya paint?  As I understand, the acrylic paint in little glass jars is an alcohol-based acrylic lacquer. Molotow is also alcohol based, so it is not out of the question that it interacted with that paint. If you used the TS spray paints, then I'm not sure if there should be any problems, but in my experience, and from what I see on the forum, anytime you are using different brands/types of paint, there is a risk of undesired interactions.

Edited by peteski