Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP/Missing Link 1911 Chevrolet

Eric Macleod

I have decided to do a "quick" build if this kit while waiting for some parts to complete my Ford GT. Here is the progress so far. I plan to add a windshield and do something about a top assembly.  Don't expect to see any miracles here but it should be presentable. I plan to a non-stock but period correct black fenders  black upholstery,  cream chassis and running gear, blue body and beass (of course) trim. While gray tires would be most correct for this car, I am planning to leave mine black. Here is my progress so far. 20211213_205208.jpg.7c4caf0d7c640be4852af4c62e273c6d.jpg20211213_205127.thumb.jpg.673c31e2f979fc4e06a4760b73b6df62.jpg

In working to clean up the flash from the wheels I rapidly learned why every finished version of this kit is obviously sporting Model T wheels (on the right). The resin used in this casting, (on the left) seemingly very durable, broke apart badly and irreparably thus I am raiding the parts bin for plan B, Model T wheels like everyone else. 20211215_065457.thumb.jpg.4397f68a8f20fcf2969944b5cf2add6d.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Clarification

This kit is supposed to be a slump buster for me...a slump that has been two years long. As a result,  I am completing this as a very basic build. The paint is Testors model master dark blue. The fenders are Tamiya black and the chassis, running gear and wheels are Rust-Oleum cream. I know that's wrong historically but I wanted a little more visual interest for the underside of the car. The windshield will be a parts box Model T item painted brass with Alclad gold. I'm also using AMT 23 Ford wheels with the lugs for the demountable rims sanded off. I plan to paint the tires gray which will be era correct. I am hoping to have it done in time to celebrate 101 years since the first Chevrolet was sold on Jan 7.

How thick is the flash between the spokes? I'm guessing to thick to cut with a sharp blade, hence the breakage. Kind of a bummer, as they are unique and different enough from the Model T wheels to catch one's eye.

Good to see one of these being built, especially by someone with extensive Brass Era knowledge.

Is this a recent release from Missing Link?

11 hours ago, Casey said:

How thick is the flash between the spokes? I'm guessing to thick to cut with a sharp blade, hence the breakage. Kind of a bummer, as they are unique and different enough from the Model T wheels to catch one's eye.

Good to see one of these being built, especially by someone with extensive Brass Era knowledge.

Is this a recent release from Missing Link?

I bought this 10 years ago...give or take. In contacting Kevin at Missing Link he said the mold has deteriorated to a point where it is no longer usable so apparently there will be no more...unless someone else recast one. You are exactly right about the wheels. I suppose I could try to cast more of them but I did not want to get that deep into it.. Thanks for your interest in mine!

Edited by Eric Macleod
Clarification

We had the 100 th anniversary of Chevrolet as a theme at on of the Toledo NNL Nationals and several examples were on display. One was done quite nicely with an up-top and all in black. I believe the builder used the AMT '25 Ford for the top. I look forward to seeing this one finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the last post would be the end of WIP posts but not surprisingly,  this kit decided to fight me a bit more. In the meantime I added some details to the floor assembly and built the windshield and top boot. I still think I am 4-5 hours from completion.  This will be my first complete (start to finish) model in over two years.

20220114_064831.jpg

20220114_064850.jpg