Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting MPC Mack DM600 into a U600

I’m not sure how much you are wanting to get in to on this build. If you want to keep it simple you can build a pretty respectable U Model by just lowering the front of the DM a little and swapping out the rear suspension. Now like you said, to be 100% accurate the R-Model frame should be used, I wish I would have on mine now, but oh well. You probably already know all of this, but the R Model has the bigger cab and the DM has the flat back cab. Both were available on the U Model. The R Model has the newer style dash and the DM has the older style. Use which ever one based on the year that you are wanting to replicate. You need to decide if you will use a short breather or tall one. The short breather will require mirror brackets to be scratch built. There is also the issue of the notch in the driver’s side of the hood if you are using anything other than the original release of the DM. The one thing that I wish that I would have fixed on the U Model that I built is the passenger fender. The rear needs to be extended downward for the DM or the U. MPC got it a little short and it makes the truck look a little off. The R Model bumper goes a long way in finishing off the U look.

I hope some of this helps,

Brian

10 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I’m not sure how much you are wanting to get in to on this build. If you want to keep it simple you can build a pretty respectable U Model by just lowering the front of the DM a little and swapping out the rear suspension. Now like you said, to be 100% accurate the R-Model frame should be used, I wish I would have on mine now, but oh well. You probably already know all of this, but the R Model has the bigger cab and the DM has the flat back cab. Both were available on the U Model. The R Model has the newer style dash and the DM has the older style. Use which ever one based on the year that you are wanting to replicate. You need to decide if you will use a short breather or tall one. The short breather will require mirror brackets to be scratch built. There is also the issue of the notch in the driver’s side of the hood if you are using anything other than the original release of the DM. The one thing that I wish that I would have fixed on the U Model that I built is the passenger fender. The rear needs to be extended downward for the DM or the U. MPC got it a little short and it makes the truck look a little off. The R Model bumper goes a long way in finishing off the U look.

I hope some of this helps,

Brian

Brian thank you for the tips. I agree with you as I’m not quite sure if I want to go too crazy with it. Box stock is probably the way to go.

It was around 1973-74 that mack changed the dash,it went from a "olive" green interior to the tan color with the curved style dash.The same year they also changed the MACK letters on the nose,the new ones were larger,almost like a capital letter? The MPC kit has the early style interior in it,the AMT kit is the later style interior. harvey

2 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

It was around 1973-74 that mack changed the dash,it went from a "olive" green interior to the tan color with the curved style dash.The same year they also changed the MACK letters on the nose,the new ones were larger,almost like a capital letter? The MPC kit has the early style interior in it,the AMT kit is the later style interior. harvey

Harvey good morning and I hope my reply finds you well. Thank you for providing me with the information. The kit I believe is the Round 2 reissue. That being said I would assume it's the post '73-'74. So what brand/color would be best to replicate the Mack Tan? 

1 hour ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Harvey good morning and I hope my reply finds you well. Thank you for providing me with the information. The kit I believe is the Round 2 reissue. That being said I would assume it's the post '73-'74. So what brand/color would be best to replicate the Mack Tan? 

The DM600 kit has the old interior, if that is the kit that you are referring to. Most often as has been mentioned, they were green, however, a friend of mine had one that was black from the factory. It was a 72. For the tan on the newer interior, I always match up something from the Testor military flat colors, but I don’t remember which ones for sure.

Looking forward to seeing this one!

46 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

The DM600 kit has the old interior, if that is the kit that you are referring to. Most often as has been mentioned, they were green, however, a friend of mine had one that was black from the factory. It was a 72. For the tan on the newer interior, I always match up something from the Testor military flat colors, but I don’t remember which ones for sure.

Thank you. I am looking forward to see if I can pull it off. For the green shade someone recommended using Krylon Sea Foam Green. We'll give it whirl.

21 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Interior cockpit green 

If you are interested, I have evereything that you need. I had a complete R685ST that I stole the cab from, and used it on my DM800 frame. So, I have a DM600/800 Cab, interior, R685ST Frame, engine, etc. However, the hood is a R hood, the DM800 was "steel". I'm sure you can Ebay the hood. 

PM me if you are interested in it as I may be robbing an axle out of it, but if you want it, I won't. 

Another thing to consider is the "Gold Bulldog" only the Macks that had all mack driveterain pieces got to wear the gold bulldog on the hood.Back in the day mack used to make all their own components for their trucks,if one had a cummins or a different transmission or even a non-mack rear suspension they had a silver dog on the hood ornament.Mack even made their own wheels,the DM kits have the proper mack spoke style wheels,the AMT kit has the spoke wheels but im not sure they are mack parts?.The DM 600 kit from MPC is a purebreed mack,it has all the proper components for one. harvey

26 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

If you are interested, I have evereything that you need. I had a complete R685ST that I stole the cab from, and used it on my DM800 frame. So, I have a DM600/800 Cab, interior, R685ST Frame, engine, etc. However, the hood is a R hood, the DM800 was "steel". I'm sure you can Ebay the hood. 

PM me if you are interested in it as I may be robbing an axle out of it, but if you want it, I won't. 

What would you want for it?