Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to create a photo inventory and catalogue a very large collection

Hi, this has been a project that's been delayed for quite a few years. I collected and inherited  a large number of 70s and earlier era diecasts,  and many larger 1/25 scale resin promotional cars (dealer giveaways in 1950s-60s). as well as all kinds of earlier era cast metal and tin models in various scales.  

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to 'inventory' and catalogue every piece in the collection; so i can have a sort of database with at least one photo of each piece, and a brief description or identification if possible. There are hundreds. 

I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to approach this. Is there a good software app that would be well suited for this task?

When I started on this I did shoot and save a lot of my smaller scale ones...so already have quite a photos but they're not at all organized in any particular order.   I would love some simple 'drag and drop' type app where i could move the photos around, group them in some logical way and assign a description for each. Then have them accessible online for viewing, mainly because i may be looking at selling some at a certain point and would like to have everything kind of catalogued for easy reference and viewing by others. 

Is there any sort of 'rule of thumb' as to how many shots and what 'essential' angles to take of each model?  For the sake of time, I'd prefer to not do more than one or two pics for each piece.  I know about lighting and staging to
some extent -and would probably just use an iPhone on a mount with a staging platform... it's more about being able to easily organize and label all these in a sort of database... Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mike 
Motor City, USA

When I did it with my stash a few years ago, I used Microsoft Excel (which has functions for lists and databases) and the dictation that's built in to the Mac. A database is just a set of different fields (say scale, kit manufacturer, auto company, year, model, condition...) stored for each model in your collection. Excel understands a data format called "CSV" for Comma Separated Variable, where you make a list with a comma between each field relating to the same model, and a new line for each separate model. In practice, what that meant was that I made a Word document, and started dictation. Then I walked around my shelves with the laptop open, reading each box and saying "comma" and "new line" out loud "24 COMMA Airfix COMMA, MG COMMA 1973 COMMA MGB COMMA GOOD NEW LINE 24 COMMA Airfix COMMA Jaguar COMMA etc etc" If you don't have a bit of data for a specific model, remember to say "none" in that slot, otherwise you'll throw what is what. This whole process is actually quite quick (took me about 30 minutes to capture 300 kits). If there are difficult words ("Zoukei Muira" for example) just substitute an easier one ("Zebra") and then do a "find and replace all" on the final document to swap all the zebras for Zoukei Muira's. This process will give you (after a bit of tidying up) a document with a line for every item, and commas dividing the data. Save it as a text file, and call it "Filename.CSV" instead of "Filename.TXT". Then open up Excel, and import the CSV file. Excel will bring it in as a spreadsheet. Give each column a title (Eg "Scale") and Excel will probably say "It looks like you're managing a list" and start to give you advice. Or Open Excel and start by telling it you're making a list. All this is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-lists?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Once you've got the whole thing set up, you can add a column(s) in the list for "Picture" and use the Pictures function to pick an image for each model and put it in the cell in that column.

Once it is a list, you can use the filters to only show you items that meet your criteria. So I can see all my E-type kits, all my 1/32 kits, all my Jaguars, all my "for sale" items, or all my 1/32 Jaguar E-Types that are for sale...

HTH a bit...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do like the simplicity of that!  Maybe could use a letter code as a prefix that categorizes them by the model brand and what scale.  So like, everything that's a CORGI would start with a C, or a JoHAN model, with a J... and at least then would be able to have some kind of sorting order.  

This works for most diecasts -where the maker identifies each with some imprint and even model # on the bottom - but then there are some very vintage ones where i can't identify the maker name or don't know how to correctly title them - like cast iron and tin, and some 1/25 Scale resin "promotional" models that have no identification marks -even what year they were issued.  So there's that.  But I guess I have to deal with that regardless of what method i choose to catalogue everything. 

Edited by mikemich

I'd do a 3/4 front view and 3/4 rear view from the opposite side. However just two photos of each car is likely not enough if you're looking to sell any later down the road, but I suppose you can always go back and add more. I do a lot of product photography and will create a new folder on the memory card for each type of product. That way everything is already organized before I pull the card from the camera. 

One thing I notice a lot with shooting model cars is the front will be in focus and sharp while the back wheels and rear end of the car will be out of focus, this is really an issue when the car is at angle. You can always increase your depth of field by going to a higher f/stop. With a well lighted "booth" and the camera on a tripod(I use a shutter release cable) f/8-f/9 with a shutter speed of 125-250 should get you close. 

I'm not familiar with the Iphone so I'm not sure what it's capabilities are, though I assume they are good for what you're doing. Here's a couple sample photos I had on the computer showing the angles I use most when shooting cars.

prototype.JPG

Prototype3.JPG

Edited by RSchnell
  • Like 1