Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick change

What kit or combination of kits has the best quick change center section and axle tubes in 1:25 scale?? I'm looking for accuracy in detail and size, ive noticed that there are a lot of different ones in old race cars annd hot rod kits, this would be mainly used on 29 to 32 ford applications. possibly looking to cast my own to have a stockpile of them.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Maybe Bill @Ace-Garageguy  or Dennis @Dennis Lacymight have a source in their encyclopedia brains of hotrod knowledge.

Right off the top of my head:

1) The Tommy Ivo Showboat has two very nice "big car" championship units, appropriate for a higher horsepower car.

2) For a normal street rod, the old AMT dragster chassis parts pack has a nice smaller one. Good for the "V8" version of the Halibrand unit, it responds well to additional detailing, and it's similar to what's found in a lot of the old AMT kits (the '41 Willys drag car comes to mind). One caveat...the axle bells in the parts-pack are two-pieces, not my favorite, though the center-section is good...and in the other AMT kit versions, the flanges on the well-detailed one-piece axle bells are way too thick for scale, but are easily modified. And some may be slightly out-of-register from not-perfectly-aligned molds, so that's something to watch out for, particularly if you want to cast copies.

3) There are 4 slightly smaller ones in the Micky Thompson Challenger kit, probably better for an earlier, lighter 4-banger car or a midget. The best part of this particular version is the separate rear gear cover, and some shorter axle bells you might need if you're building an old-school "slingshot" dragster. The gear cover and bells have nice bolt-head detail and can improve the appearance of many of the others. IIRC, it's the same one that's in the recent Mooneyes dragster kit.

There are more I can't call up to memory at the moment, and lots of the kits I'd usually check for verification are already either packed or moved.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Try the search, please. Near instant results:

thank you @Casey

40 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Right off the top of my head:

1) The Tommy Ivo Showboat has two very nice "big car" championship units, appropriate for a higher horsepower car.

2) For a normal street rod, the old AMT dragster chassis parts pack has a nice smaller one. Good for the "V8" version of the Halibrand unit, it responds well to additional detailing, and it's similar to what's found in a lot of the old AMT kits (the '41 Willys drag car comes to mind). One caveat...the axle bells in the parts-pack are two-pieces, not my favorite, though the center-section is good...and in the other AMT kit versions, the flanges on the well-detailed one-piece axle bells are way too thick for scale, but are easily modified. And some may be slightly out-of-register from not-perfectly-aligned molds, so that's something to watch out for, particularly if you want to cast copies.

3) There are 4 slightly smaller ones in the Micky Thompson Challenger kit, probably better for an earlier, lighter 4-banger car or a midget. The best part of this particular version is the separate rear gear cover, and some shorter axle bells you might need if you're building an old-school "slingshot" dragster. The gear cover and bells have nice bolt-head detail and can improve the appearance of many of the others. IIRC, it's the same one that's in the recent Mooneyes dragster kit.

There are more I can't call up to memory at the moment, and lots of the kits I'd usually check for verification are already either packed or moved.

much appreciated Bill i'll dredge through my kits and hope i come up a winner.

1 hour ago, Bullybeef said:

...much appreciated Bill i'll dredge through my kits and hope i come up a winner.

I'm reasonably sure the AMT rear ends...with good one-piece axle bells that still need thinning to look right...can also be found in the double-dragster kit, and the double T kits as well.

AMT Double Dragster 3 in 1 Model Kit 646 for sale online ... 

AMT 1925 Model T Ford 3 in 1 Kits Rare & Vintage Two Kits ...

Photo below shows the referenced nicely detailed AMT unit, LEFT, with the rear face "machined" flat to receive the "change-gear" cover from a Revell assembly, and the axle bell flanges thinned to look more like the real deal.

DSCN6663.jpg

For more on adapting it to chassis it wasn't made for, see page 3 of this thread:

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You also may want to try the reissued MPC Modified Stock Car kits, any of which will have a nice two-piece QC rear end. These would also include the Vega Modified kit, and the Pinto Modified kits. All the chassis are the same.

CaptureModifiedVega.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, Bullybeef said:

What kit or combination of kits has the best quick change center section and axle tubes in 1:25 scale??

8 hours ago, cobrit said:

You also may want to try the reissued MPC Modified Stock Car kits, any of which will have a nice two-piece QC rear end. 

Just be aware the QC in those kits is a fairly rare bird in a hot-rod on the street, and the two-piece construction, molded in halves as shown, makes it harder to paint the axle housings, which are generally steel parts on a period-car. Instruction page from those kits shown below.

RatTrapInstructions2copy-vi.jpg.1ce8a9f520700c4ad47719b689de600b.jpg

Photo immediately below shows a typical QC like you'd most likely find under a period, or light, hot rod. Steel axle housings / bells, that get painted.

Speedway Tech Talk - Quick Change Rear Ends & Components ...

Big photo below shows a contemporary racing QC similar to what's shown in the kit instructions above. Cast-alloy axle bells, steel shaft housings.

QUICK CHANGE REAR END - Circle Track Warehouse Inc.

• Like 2