Model Cars Magazine Forum

All right - ready for some MotoGP history.  The man that changed MotoGP forever bringing American dirt track style to European MotoGP racing... Mr Kenny Roberts.  The young American that brought the knee down, sliding around corners to the race winning the championship in 1978, 1979 and 1980 pushing that Yamaha around the track and giving us what we see today in MotoGP - here is the 1980 winning build!vxkcNzv.jpg?1

Starting with the frame.  This is an old Tamiya kit and it shows.  The new kits have zero mould separation lines... this has many.  Still fun to build

ACA9TbP.jpg

Working a few alclad metals

1hO5dhX.jpg

Got a bit of the motor together, more to come

JSCd1bB.jpg

• Like 1

Great kit. I saw Kenny in the day with his mate and ours, Barry Sheene, who was with us on the airfield marshal duty at Silverstone. Racing then with the fast two-stroke machines was fantastic!

Edited by PatW

John, Patrick, oh man the name Kenny Roberts triggers lots of nice memories. Back in the '70s my wife and I traveled with our Honda 750 and a tent and all the gear to several race tracks, e.g. Dutch TT, Francorchamps, Hockenheim, Nivelles and others, to watch Kenny Roberts, Barry Sheene, Phil Read and Giacomo Agostini circle the tracks. The sometimes fighted each other until the last round and the spectators asked themselves who will be in the lead the next round. To make the long story short, yeah, lots of nice memories. Thanks  a lot for this thread.  Ah, before I forget, the build looks really great so far.

Take care, Juergen

• 1 month later...