Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texas 3D Customs

I'm looking to find a 3D source for NASCAR wide-5 modified wheels, the older style with the safety hubs. 4 bolts on the front centers and 8 on the rears (for floating axles). They could fit the existing PPP modified tires, or new ones could be made up.

Lots of guys I know are looking for them. I have been cobbling some sets together from slush cast resin. I used to make a few sets when I had machine shop access, but 3D printing is the way to go.

7 hours ago, sfhess said:

When you consider that the tooling for the currently available 67 and 68 Mustang (Shelby) kits were designed many years apart, the choice of a base kit for this conversion is obvious.

Well I did it based on a completely different reason it was all based on availability and partially it is the correct year we all know that the movie car was a 67 GT500 GT350 GT500 really the differences are very minimal and I'm replacing all those anyway. I think you're saying I made the right choice but What year are the kids were made in inadvertently may had something with it but really it was about finding me easiest to acquire. For example the F1 truck that has that pikes peak look old smoking It's great kit but it's impossible to find and sales suffer for that reason I did not design that one so that's how it came to be but on the other hand really what would be the other option other than the foose truck.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:47 AM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I will list it I'm going to print some out today I am really busy with this Eleanor project plus I'm working on something else with Scott so I'm trying but I'm doing a lot right now

Put my money where my mouth is and just ordered one, along with one of the modern surfboards and 3 other engines. Now if i could just find some motivation to actually build something. 

So was going through my FE engine doing a favor for someone and I realized I never fully completed my Blown Setup, I mean it was close really close, so I finished it off and am printing a small batch of both variants now. Transmission is selectable I am talking about the hats more than anything on the variation.

Blown FE.png

cARB bLOWER.png

18 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

So I’m looking for an L-82 engine with the twin snorkel air cleaner with AC that was used in the ‘78 corvette pace car.

thoughts?

spacer.png

You should check out the Miami Vice Daytona Spyder. It has the air cleaner set up but no AC. The kit is pretty accurate for the TV car. It is Corvette based and has the Corvette engine and chassis.

Ferrari 1972 Daytona Spyder Miami Vice.JPG

12 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

How about an air cleaner like this ?

380757122_10228174066275189_2263620315852654633_n.jpg

378191631_10228174067875229_6825437260038871376_n.jpg

So there are a couple issues there One that's extremely thin which extremely thin and resin prints usually means extremely hard to make without falling apart The other problem is there's an air filter inside there and people notoriously love to complain at me about the air filters inside my scoop for my 572 so you try to print an air filter that you can insert into the scoop or make the scoop where just kind of sits on top on a very thin ledge on the carburetor but the air filter can still fit through It's not really ideal making things in sheet metal for a car is a lot different than 3D printing. Now I could probably make something that resembles that that was two pieces but I'm not going to sell it with an engine If I do it it'll be a separate item and generally speaking separate items It's kind of a lose lose situation either I charge a lot to kind of make up for making these little fiddly parts for one off orders or I spent a lot of time making something that gets me no profit and I know it's not all about profit but this is not my side hustle that's just for fun anymore. That is one of the bad things about quitting my job and doing this as my income now.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs

This is the version I will be listing it is two pieces the filter and the scoop are two separate pieces and while I know the filter is not properly shaped and you'll understand when you see the pictures of the parts it makes it fit all together well

20230920_150714.jpg

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs
  • Like 1