Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radio antennas another dollar store money saver.

26 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

That’s nice! Do you have a build thread on it?

Thanks! No, I don't.

It is a Gunze Sangyo 1:32 '57 Chevy BelAir from the '50s Collection. Very simple curbside kit, but they build up very nicely.  This is the model featured on the BMF packaging.

I built it about 25 years ago (before digital cameras).  No in progress-photos.  All that kit has is the body, interior, 2 metal axles, tires, wheels and chrome parts.  IIRC, I used Colors by Boyd Pacific Blue and white.  And BMF of course.

I have used those thin nylon plastic pieces with a  tee shaped end to them from new clothing tags. I leave the tee on the end and it acts as a good stop when the straight thin round part is fed through a drilled hope to suit from under a wing and epoxied into place underneath.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, peteski said:

Yes, kit's molded antennas are way out of scale, but sewing needles just don't look right to me. They have a unrealistic taper to them.  For non-retractable antennas I use stainless steel wire (thickness dpeents on scale of the model), and make a tip from a tiny piece of hypodermic tube.

For retractable antennas I use telescopic sizes of hypodermic tubing with the last segment out of stainless steel wire.  I get the tubing and wire from https://componentsupplycompany.com/

This is a 1:32 scale model with a telescopic antenna.

Gunze57ChevyBelAirFront.jpg

Wow, I've seen that image for so many years. I had no clue it was 1/32. Very cool!

26 minutes ago, sbk said:

Wow, I've seen that image for so many years. I had no clue it was 1/32. Very cool!

Thank you Steve.  I feel honored and proud that El (founder of BMF Co.) selected that photo to use on their product packaging.  Those 1:32 Gunze Sangyo kits are basic, but also very nice.