Model Cars Magazine Forum

And yet another '30 coupe

customline

9 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I really dig what you have done with this one. Nice model

Yeah, me too, Mark. Not 20 minutes ago I sprayed the clear on it and totally screwed the pooch. This build is no longer a coupe but will be a roadster as soon as I recover from kicking myself in the ass. The coupe body will be drowned in the purple pond. I have a couple of roadster bodies that will drop right on to this chassis (which is essentially finished.)  I'll be getting a body and interior ready in a few days. The '29 body won't accept the coupe interior because the coupe is a '30; a wider body. The interior will be similar to the coupe, though. Anyway, thanks for your interest. 

Ok....did a little re-engineering today.  There ain't  much paint left in that little can but it might be enough to hit this roadster body with enough to do the job. This body is a '29 and is quite a bit narrower at the firewall, making the engine look immense. I like it 🥴.  I zeed the floor to match the existing (coupe) frame and modified the interior panels in the wheel well area. The firewall was a little tricky as there was less room in the floor @ firewall for the big torqueflite but a little tweeking with the Dremel worked that out. I used a piece of the kit "Highboy" firewall and added it to the floor and created a foundation for my diamond plate facia.  I sectioned the deuce shell so it didn't drag on the pavement. It's amazing what can be done with thick CA and accelerator 🙂. IMG_2474.jpg.f645e540d6d9995ddbe9e4c2eac5050d.jpgIMG_2473.jpg.770f9ee3c7b6a531f4260f0d1fba30b6.jpgIMG_2468.jpg.833d367907c3214229cafeebafb880bd.jpgIMG_2470.jpg.a50db9b64b971c7bdbcf4b8c62532cd7.jpg

I'll add more pics later tonight but I wanted to get these up now. 

My first hurdle was the firewall/floor junction. I cut a section from the kit firewall and grafted it to the floor.  This gave me something to eventually mate my chrome diamond plate facade to. Some drum sanding ensued.  

IMG_2481.jpg.28fcd25f29d783acab25ae685501bccc.jpgIMG_2475.jpg.c8e2e67de4d8ad9162a4f52583d45358.jpg

Then I just whipped up another chrome firewall using Plastruct HO Guage material and BMF "ultra bright" chrome foil. 😎.  Next the deuce grille. I sectioned it down to the size of the kit '29 shell and used the kit radiator on the back side. The grille was ground down on both ends very gradually, checking often for close fit.

IMG_2483.jpg.cbb9d9bf2b5046688f8bef3cfa20c198.jpg

IMG_2485.thumb.jpg.08c11dad411396d67f34cfb046a6c8df.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

The re-engineering of the floor and interior panels necessitates filling the circled areas IMG_2477.jpg

Edited by customline

2 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

The grille and grille shell section alone is worth the price of admission! BTW, regarding insanity- check out the Hurricane Typhoon made from junk- aka egg crate grille and the car behind it.

Baaaahh.....a 1 hour job. Not my first. AMT shells are easier; no taper top to bottom, and no horizontal grille supports to balance out. I use thick CA for filler and added strength. The kit radiator on the back side holds it solid before filling and sanding. I'll paint that by hand after spraying the shell.  Now I need to clean up the body for paint. Not sure what to do with the gas tank lines. They don't seem to be pronounced enough to survive the finishing process. I need to do some research. Maybe smooth 'em off, I dunno. A case could be made for welding and filling the seams like on a 1:1. Or I could scribe them and add a gas cap. 🤔. Fact is they just look like mold parting lines. 

Yeah, I can build another chassis for the coupe. I have all that stuff. Maybe I'll use the kit engine this time.  I just want to complete this and move on. 😩. I really wanted the coupe buggy sprung anyway. With the '34 pickup parts I have now, I can do it. I suppose I should change the title of this thread.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking mods. I like the engine that looks bigger than life. 

Thanks David, I'm sorta okay with the whole thing going south the way it did. I have a few roadsters to build anyway and I like the way this chassis looks. I'm being flexible 🥴.  Do you know how I can change the title of my thread? I think I 🤔 probably should.

21 hours ago, customline said:

Thanks David, I'm sorta okay with the whole thing going south the way it did. I have a few roadsters to build anyway and I like the way this chassis looks. I'm being flexible 🥴.  Do you know how I can change the title of my thread? I think I 🤔 probably should.

Not sure how you can change it, but check in with site at the top of the forum. Therew is a section about how to use the forum and that should offer you some ideas as to how to change your posts. 

On 4/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, customline said:

In the upper right corner of your post there are three dots. If you click on those the options for that post should pop up. I think there used to be a time limit for how long you could edit a thread, but not sure if that is still a thing. If you are still allowed to edit your thread lick edit and then change the subject of the thread. Then save it.

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

In the upper right corner of your post there are three dots. If you click on those the options for that post should pop up. I think there used to be a time limit for how long you could edit a thread, but not sure if that is still a thing. If you are still allowed to edit your thread lick edit and then change the subject of the thread. Then save it.

I appreciate your help, Craig, I think I have to petition the overseer (administrator, moderator...) so I'm just gonna run this out the way it is so the few interested parties are not confused. Hopefully, I can finish up this thing without being put in "moderation " 🥴💩

Edited by customline
Fix a goof