Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started in 1972, finished in 2011....Jo-Han '71 Mustang Funny Car Build and Build Thread....

tim boyd

Continuing to post models from my 55 year (1967-2022) run of building 1/25th scale funny car models, here is a mostly box stock build of the Jo-Han Mickey Thompson 1971 Mustang funny car kit. 

DSC_0047.JPG

At the time it was introduced, Jo-Han's 1971/2 Mickey Thompson Mustang Funny Car was arguably the most authentic kit of that drag racing genre ever packed in a model box. Soon thereafter, I discovered a widely varied palette of Humbrol Flats paint tins and bought a bunch for future projects. I then (this was around 1972 or so) laid out a mod-style swirl paint scheme with a fine brush. Except I only did it over about 1/3rd of the body (one side and a portion of the top). Then in the box it went.

About 40 years on I found some of the old Humbrol paint tins, and the paint was still usable. I set about completing the paint approach, then built the rest of the kit box stock. The "Agitation 2" lettering was done with LetraSet, just like back in the 1970's Auto World and Car Model feature stories.

The entire build process of this kit, with in-process pictures and captions, is featured n my on-line Fotki album: https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyd-on-line-ho1/

Thanks for looking....more images below...TIM 

DSC 0617

DSC 0607

DSC 0608

DSC 0610

DSC 0611

DSC 0612

DSC 0613

DSC 0614

DSC 0618

DSC 0616

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC 0615

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

You know I am a fan.  I’ve got s few 71-73 Mustang drag kits but like many other kits in the collection they have yet to be built.  This give me hope that there is still time.

Rex....model builder Steve Perry and I have had a long running discussion/friendly debate on which of the various '71/'72 Mustang funny car kits has the best, most accurate body replica of the real F/C's that ran during 1971-72.   Without revealing our choices (Steve and I are in very different camps about which is best), knowing your interest/research/knowledge on '71-'73 Mustangs, which funny car kit of same would you pick as having the most accurate body?  Thanks...TIM 

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Rex....model builder Steve Perry and I have had a long running discussion/friendly debate on which of the various '71/'72 Mustang funny car kits has the best, most accurate body replica of the real F/C's that ran during 1971-72.   Without revealing our choices (Steve and I are in very different camps about which is best), knowing your interest/research/knowledge on '71-'73 Mustangs, which funny car kit of same would you pick as having the most accurate body?  Thanks...TIM 

I prefer the Johan body with the flat hood but there were bodies with the scoops and a more updated versions with a longer chassis and narrow body.  So I’d say it all depends on which car you are trying to replicate as the bodies of the real cars morphed and AMT and MPC seemed to catch up with some of the changes.  I think the Johan body is perfect for the early Blue Max and some others as pictured below but no one body can really be used to represent the evolution of the cars over the three or so years.  Getting as many period pictures would be the best start in building a specific FC to determine which kit would be the best to use.  To me the Johan body also most resembles the street version and I’ve even cut out the hood to use it for a stock Mustang build. 

2AE2D47F-EC4A-48D0-BBBF-E0422895B155.png

On 4/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, vamach1 said:

I prefer the Johan body with the flat hood but there were bodies with the scoops and a more updated versions with a longer chassis and narrow body.  So I’d say it all depends on which car you are trying to replicate as the bodies of the real cars morphed and AMT and MPC seemed to catch up with some of the changes.  I think the Johan body is perfect for the early Blue Max and some others as pictured below but no one body can really be used to represent the evolution of the cars over the three or so years.  Getting as many period pictures would be the best start in building a specific FC to determine which kit would be the best to use.  To me the Johan body also most resembles the street version and I’ve even cut out the hood to use it for a stock Mustang build. 

2AE2D47F-EC4A-48D0-BBBF-E0422895B155.png

Rex....thanks very much for his comprehensive response, sorry for my delay in acknowledging it. 

FWIW, your assessment was essentially the same as mine.  As alluded above, Steve's is somewhat different.  But given his focus on accuracy and detail, I'm sure he has a valid case for his decision as well.  

Anyway, thanks for your input and for taking the time to assemble all those pics...TIM 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Rex....thanks very much for his comprehensive response, sorry for my delay in acknowledging it. 

FWIW, your assessment was essentially the same as mine.  As alluded above, Steve's is somewhat different.  But given his focus on accuracy and detail, I'm sure he has a valid case for his decision as well.  

Anyway, thanks for your input and for taking the time to assemble all those pics...TIM 

Thanks for the kind words.  Here’s a photo I came across recently of Quicke Too that I had not seen from this angle before.

On a related topic I have ordered two sets of decals from Fasig Graphics  to make a Sam Auxier Prostock 71 Mustang.  While it’s not a funny car I have always wanted to try an replicate the car in 1/25.  According to Sam the car is now in Pennsylvania but the owner does not not seem to have a clue about how to restore it.

F8DD0C55-4C19-445A-8663-22087A3ED1BC.jpeg

D6BCD82D-CFC0-4987-9C49-5CD9A321E3F2.jpeg