Model Cars Magazine Forum

Leaking Testors laquer spray can question

When these cans leak that yellowish clear fluid out of the can seam, the full can gets a lot lighter. Has anyone tried to decant the remaining paint and airbrush it on? I suspect the fluid is an important component of the paint and therefore it won't work, but I have some nice factory colors that I hate to trash without trying.

I've decanted/airbrushed and painted straight out of the can using some of those leakers.  I haven't had an issue with any of them, and at least one had quite a bit of the goo on it.  I have to admit, I've never compared the weight of the leaking/non-leaking cans though.   

Have you done a spoon-test on one of your leaking cans? 

Edited by pack rat

11 minutes ago, Maindrian Pace said:

When these cans leak that yellowish clear fluid out of the can seam, the full can gets a lot lighter...I suspect the fluid is an important component of the paint and therefore it won't work...

The "yellowish clear fluid" is the "binder" that holds the pigments, and makes the film that "dries" on the surface.

PAINT BINDERS:   https://findanyanswer.com/what-is-a-paint-binder

I suspect you could add clear lacquer or enamel to your decanted material to restore its properties, but this would necessitate careful testing and measuring.

The Testors materials I've decanted so far haven't lost very much binder prior to decanting, and Q&D testing shows them to work OK with appropriate thinning only.