Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Beetle kit fits this criteria?

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

this is the t3 engine on a bug pan. its for a bug van so i had to use it instead of the earlier engine for the lower profile.

Looks like the waserboxer (water boxer), which is a water-cooled flat 4 developed specifically for the post-'82 European bus.

It's not the same as the 411/412 air-cooled engine, but you could probably get it to look close enough to fool most folks.  :D

8 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks like the waserboxer (water boxer), which is a water-cooled flat 4 developed specifically for the post-'82 European bus.

It's not the same as the 411/412 air-cooled engine, but you could probably get it to look close enough to fool most folks.  :D

guess i'll have to scratch up a cooling system, revell didn't include it but it'll be a simple job

And, while you are at it, check the kit body against all reference material you can dig up.  MPC probably cheated the body in one or more ways, in order to make it fit the Ford GT underpinnings.  I'd make sure the body is as correct as can be, then do what needs to be done to get the Beetle pan underneath it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ToddModelCrazy said:

Would the old IMC 1/25 VW Beetle 3 in 1 kit work for you?    :)

Hey, Friend..... It might would! I'm unfamiliar with that kit. It sounds vintage and rare, though...... I believe I'll just grab a Tamiya kit, since they're cheap and readily available....

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 6:02 PM, Mark said:

And, while you are at it, check the kit body against all reference material you can dig up.  MPC probably cheated the body in one or more ways, in order to make it fit the Ford GT underpinnings.  I'd make sure the body is as correct as can be, then do what needs to be done to get the Beetle pan underneath it.

I've had the MPC Coyote kit in the past. I tried to build it box stock, but that proved pretty much impossible........ What I did notice about the body is the rear "haunches" are more curvy on the 1:1 and they're kinda flattened out on the model......

34 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

...What I did notice about the body is the rear "haunches" are more curvy on the 1:1 and they're kinda flattened out on the model...

Yes, the tooling designers took some liberties, and corrections will be required.

Just be glad they didn't work from this sorry mess:

coyote-x-tv-car-10013.jpg.3da1b3b417967ebc08149cd486037a12.jpg

Coyote-X-II.jpg.1a0b8ee9a6f9f1fa46315a9ac089e6de.jpg

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes, the tooling designers took some liberties, and corrections will be required.

Just be glad they didn't work from this sorry mess:

coyote-x-tv-car-10013.jpg.3da1b3b417967ebc08149cd486037a12.jpg

Coyote-X-II.jpg.1a0b8ee9a6f9f1fa46315a9ac089e6de.jpg

18 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Wow! That looks worse than the Delorean-based car...... :wacko:

That IS the Delorean based car!

Thank You Mr. Barris, another fine mess you've gotten us into.

Marty McFly should have had this disaster hit by the train when he got back to 1985.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 5:43 PM, stitchdup said:

this is the t3 engine on a bug pan. its for a bug van so i had to use it instead of the earlier engine for the lower profile.

Les, would you happen to have a pic of one of these engines completed? also, Which kit donated it? Do you have a box art?

39 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Les, would you happen to have a pic of one of these engines completed? also, Which kit donated it? Do you have a box art?

only got one completed but its a turbo so you cant really see much of it. Its from the revell t3 un bus kit but you can find it in the camper and magnum bus too.

49441828913_e5e60049a7_k.jpg

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Bill, how much work would it be to convert this engine into a "correct for the Coyote" engine?

Under the cooling "tin" and fan, the Beetle engine is similar visually to the 411/412 engine they used in the Coyote...close enough to pass for most anyone who's not intimately familiar with VW aircooleds.

Just for the sake of clarity, UNDERNEATH the different cooling fan ducting and "tin", both the VW Bug engine and the correct-for-your-build 411/412 engines look pretty much like this (though there are differences, they're close enough in 1/25 for all but the most hardcore VW buffs):

Narratives of a Novice: VW 1600 H-block finally restored.

This is a 1600cc Beetle engine, with the "upright" fan driven by the generator/alternator, and the tall fan shroud installed.

1600 cc vw engine turnkey - JCS Premium stock vw beetle crate engine

Below are some photos of the 411/412 engine for comparison.

The major visible differences in this 1700cc 411/412 engine and the Bug engine are the fan on the end of the crankshaft, the aluminum shroud that ducts cooling air into lower-profile "tin", and the centrally-mounted fuel injector body attached to the intake manifold tubes.

Verkaufe - 411 LE Motor, CHF 800.-

TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ

Here's another shot of the cast aluminum fan shroud.

VW Type 4 (411 and 412) specs and engine info | Aircooled Community

How much work is it to convert the Bug mill to a 411??

In my mind, not that much. Some kinda fiddly scratchbuilding, but if you take the time-honored approach of making individual shapes, and then putting them together, it becomes a logical and straightforward task.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Another thought...the VW type-3 (squareback / fastback / notchback) has a 1600cc "pancake" engine quite visually similar to the 411/412.

Maybe a 1/24 scale diecast could supply something...

https://www.vehiclediecast.com/diecast-volkswagen-1600-model-124-scale-gray-by-maisto-p-1720.html

VB2A715-3.jpg

the engine in those is two parts with a fairly thick chassis inbetween, its probably closer to 1/22 scale too and would be a struggle to fit the coyote or even a t2. hopefully it wont be too long before a 3d print becomes available as they're a popular drag engine. your suggestion of modding the beetle engine is robably the only one for now unless you wanted to do a custom version as theres an og style engine with the porsche fan housing available now. That is a cool diecast though, i have all the vws in the series