Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Comet Crash - Opinions?

Just as bad as those inadequate, contaminated brake fluid, brakes are vehicles I've seen over the decades with a built engine, wide rear rims & tyres, and maybe a blower -- and stock, manual drum brakes at all-fours... with the stock 1966 & earlier brake master cylinder. 
Street operated.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It. 

I can't recall at this moment if seat belts were mandated by 1964, whether it's model year '64 or calendar year '64. 

I'd watched a critique of these clowns' antics wherein the critic stated that the driver slammed the gear selector into the park position. To me, it appeared that he popped it into neutral. Ne'er-the-less, the critic's analysis was, The parking pawl was overridden, rendering the de facto 'braking' ineffective... especially in conjunction with the driver's failure to kill the ignition first

Those clowns -- especially the owner-operator -- are lucky the didn't get slapped with involuntary manslaughter! Gross negligence is almost a cinch on those fools.

6 hours ago, iBorg said:

A couple of thoughts. 

This was a 23 year build. When he installed the brakes some 20 years ago they were pretty much top of the line. The problem is the technology has gotten better. For a street cruiser where the driver never nails the throttle, they were adequate if properly functioning. Lots or pro street cars proved this when that trend was hot. I don't think the typical safety inspection would have caught the problem. The one's I've experienced are more checking for exhaust leaks, working safety equipment such as lights and bake pads and rotors.

I do think that when the throttle was sticking, the whole thing should have been stopped until that could have been corrected. There have been too many fatalities due to a sticking throttle. More than likely riding the brakes resulting in overheating them leading to their failure. Continuing to film so that the passenger could have content led to the crash. Notice he appears nervous for much of the ride. I don't understand why the driver didn't kill the engine and throw it in neutral although how many of us would react better in the same situation?

I agree 100% He said that he was riding the brakes continuously to hold the car back because it wouldn’t idle down. That is why they were smelling them. He overheated the brakes and lost pedal. All of the brake inspections in the world and most upgrades wouldn’t have helped in this instance. That is why I like a good old fashioned cable operated emergency brake. Fixing the sticky throttle however would have went a long way.