Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD NOOZE REDUX

fordsixty

sorry guys for the lapse. something very bad happened to this pig, while painting it the first time.

again thanks for the cool comments and contributions.

scott: the more i look at that tyrell mustang, the more i think that really needs to be done. very cool concept.

anyway, my first attempt at painting resulted in massive cracks thru both filler primer and primer layers, right down to the plastic. both primers are from dupli color. the hood however, turned out just fine. same supplies and proceedures. sometimes i just do not get chemicals. they have a mind of there own. ;) so into the alcohol bath it went and stayed there until it could prove that it wanted to be painted. BAD PIG! :P

so this is the second paint job. i used Testors de ja blue "one coat". beautiful color. a little darker than i had originally envisioned. but i think it looks awesome with the red and white.

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

i really like this angle. very aggressive. :P

DSC00643.jpg

a classic ready to kill some curves. oink, oink.

DSC00645.jpg

a lot of detail still to do but it is getting there.

DSC00648.jpg

the motor is coming together also. i have to finish up the cooling system, oil recovery system, shrouding for the radiator and the air box.

thanks for looking and hope you like it.

Edited by fordsixty

The paint really brings out what an insane (yet successful) hybrid The Pig really is. Sort of a Pro Street/NASCAR/Group 5/Retro road racing special... With the broad white stripe and the metallic blue paint that rounded back end framed by the little air dam looks very Cobra Daytona-esque, dontcha think? Gotta love it... B)

Dale!

Great job, my friend! This is awesome. Great color and the giant white numbers are perfect! The induction is great.

As soon as you post the finished pics I am capturing some for my Favorites Fotki album.

I'll build that Tyrell Mustang someday. I think it would be pretty to knock it out in 1/20th.

Scott (aka Steve ;) )

oops, sorry about that scott. i had just finished talking to a work collegue, on the phone, when i started typing that reply. guess what his name is?

yes, that is right, dave. ;) will not happen again.

you could put a lot of detail in a 20th scale car. and with your patience and attention to detail ( a cogged belt cut from a zip tie !!!!!!!!), it would truely be a masterpiece. i want to be informed when you start, friend.

hey nick, i did not know blue was your favorite color. you should really let us know these things. :P

now start on that '49 pig.

speaking of pigs, my workbench is from now on known as the pig farm. oink, oink.

hey bernard, ol Pete Brock would be pleased, huh? thanks man.

oh yeah, what's next, oh that beautiful '31! B) Dale, you know you love it!! :lol:

oops, sorry about that scott. i had just finished talking to a work collegue, on the phone, when i started typing that reply. guess what his name is?

yes, that is right, dave. :D will not happen again.

you could put a lot of detail in a 20th scale car. and with your patience and attention to detail ( a cogged belt cut from a zip tie !!!!!!!!), it would truely be a masterpiece. i want to be informed when you start, friend.

hey nick, i did not know blue was your favorite color. you should really let us know these things. :D

now start on that '49 pig.

speaking of pigs, my workbench is from now on known as the pig farm. oink, oink.

hey bernard, ol Pete Brock would be pleased, huh? thanks man.

I know, I needed to inform you earlier, did you paint it for me? That's so nice of you :o I'll start on the '49, after I found out which dang engine to use, C6R, Cosworth Turbo 4, or Yamaha V10 F1 motor, but that means the engine being in the back with an enormous wing sticking out the trunk. Those are the only real motors I have. I'm not using the Sauber C9 engine and parts, I am building that kit. I am going to use my '75 NASCAR Laguna kit for the cage etc. Maybe I can make that into a road pig? I have enough carbon fibre and styrene. Want to donate? :lol: I know, I need more skills if I'm going to do that Challenger.

I like that, Pig Farm......oink oink

Pete Brock colors, oh yeah, always classic.

Edited by Nick F40

I'll start on the '49, after I found out which dang engine to use, C6R, Cosworth Turbo 4, or Yamaha V10 F1 motor, but that means the engine being in the back with an enormous wing sticking out the trunk. Those are the only real motors I have. I'm not using the Sauber C9 engine and parts, I am building that kit. I am going to use my '75 NASCAR Laguna kit for the cage etc. Maybe I can make that into a road pig? I have enough carbon fibre and styrene. Want to donate? :D I know, I need more skills if I'm going to do that Challenger.

hey nick, a '49 merc ( the definition of a pig ) needs a ford motor and something bigger than a 4 cylinder. how about a 710hp cosworth v8. i have one from the amt march 88c. the block, heads and front cover are assembled and painted. all the other parts are there on the trees. here is the kicker, the motor is already attached to a ford top-loader. you can have the kit, minus wheels and tires, if you want. also, is the Laguna kit the amt reissue? i ask because, i have an extra Revell tabasco grand prix i could send you. again, no tires or decals. ( has a lot better detail. ) let me know.

man, i think i am help starting a franchise. :D:lol::D

jay: i have a bunch of different pigs started, i just need to get off my butt and finish them. it would also help to stop starting new ones.. :lol:

hey guys. hope you all had a good weekend.

just a quick update. i have gotten this pig ( the howard cams special ) almost ready for race day.

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

the belly pan, diffuser and most of the splitter is complete. glass is almost done, just need rear side windows. you know, the glass is a real problem with this kit. they do not fit the openings correctly. :D a plus is that they do fit flush, though. you can also see that the hood is again in primer. the original stripe was crooked. did not notice it until the body was painted. hopefully tomorrow i can get it painted.

DSC00659.jpg

here you can see the diffuser and the clear spoiler, with gurney lip. just need to add the rear tow hook.

i am going to try and have this one done by next weekend. Model Fiesta is in two weekends and i still want to get my '31 done.

thanks for looking and following along.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I guess it's an inside joke, but these cars are genius! And they're beautiful! WHY do you call them Pigs? The detail is fantastic, and you should be proud of your "Lil Piggies" :blink:

Some people use that instead of rig, like "tow pig", it just sounds kind of dirty, wild, funny, like a piggie! :blink:

hello gentlemen.

thank you very much for bringing this old sow back up. :blink:

george, it is my term of endearment for old cars that have been resurrected and now act and perform like a modern car should. a few years ago, i owned my own street rod/performance shop. i built several rods from the 40s, 50s and 60s. not billet trailer queens either. drivers! :blink: anyway, the term started there. i use it on cars that i built ( 1/1 and 1/25-1/24 ) and just plain love. hope that clears things up.

anyway, i will post the '53 in the under glass later tonight. i think i hear something sizzling in the skillet. ;)