Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962 Oldsmobile Super 88 --built from NOS kit.

rsmodels

7 hours ago, Carmak said:

The missing 394 could be a blessing since it might direct you to a newer engine/trans and that way you will replace the horrific Slim-Jim Roto Hydramatic. 

This is a 61 Olds C/B ambulance I had MANY years ago.

61 olds back_seat.jpg

61 olds dash.jpg

61 olds front.jpg

61 olds rear.jpg

Craig, thanks for the photos. You are right about the Slim Jim trannys but mine has had no problems yet.  But I did have to get a rebuilt one for the 63 I had as a teenager.

7 hours ago, john sharisky said:

Clean build!

If the wheels aren't glued yet, I'd like to make a suggestion:

Here's my '62 built from a Promolite (Tom Coolidge) resin kit. In order to get rid of the typical JoHan too-narrow wheel track, I used brass tube for the axles (.047" I think) cut at lengths that brought the wheels and tires out - closer to the body. So that the wheels/tires/axles wouldn't flop back and forth on the narrow chassis, I made four spacers from Evergreen styrene tube that had an ID to allow them to slip over the brass tubes. Painted black, one spacer was slipped onto the tubes/axles before the wheels were attached. 

John

62Olds1.jpg

62Olds2.jpg

62Olds3.jpg

John, I appreciate your advice but as I mentioned in the description, I did widen the track. Compared to your photo, mine looks just about the same as yours. Most, if not all of the early Johan kits needed the track widened. I also added wheel wells to the chassis on the 59's and 60's that I've built.

Your 62 looks great. Here's a photo of the 59 I have in progress. I already widened the track. It's painted the correct Golden Mist Metallic.   -Rich

DSC01890.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:28 PM, Street Rod said:

Outstanding job! Looks like it could drive away!

Thanks for your kind comment.

On 8/27/2022 at 10:43 PM, unclescott58 said:

Stunning build. 

Thank you

On 8/28/2022 at 4:51 PM, carrucha said:

Cool build.  The white body and blue interior combo works well.

I appreciate your comment

On 9/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, Smitty said:

A terrific build of a rare subject. Your fine attention to detail really brings all your oldies to life! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again Eric.

On 9/2/2022 at 11:15 AM, Rob Hall said:

Beautiful build..love those old Johans

Thank you Robert, I love the old Johans too. The body accuracy is great on them.