Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2017 Camaro "Fiftieth" Anniversary Edition

mustang1989

On 12/25/2022 at 9:26 AM, slusher said:

Looking good Joe, always nice to see you at the bench!

Thanks Carl! 

On 12/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, TransAmMike said:

Really coming along nicely Joe!!

'Preciate you tuning in Mike! 

On 12/24/2022 at 11:39 AM, NOBLNG said:

That is looking great Joe. I have this kit and if I ever get around to building it, will be referencing your thread here. Thanks for all the detailed progress pics and notes.👍

Thanks Greg. It's definitely got its fair share of challenges but with a little elbow grease (and a whole lotta love)....they can all be overcome. 

I've been working on the engine bay for the last few days. When dealing with black in these areas, I tend to use a lot of different shades and add every detail I can to keep it from being boring. Bit by bit things are shaping up in here.

spacer.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, djmcguire said:

@mustang1989What technique did you use to get the plastic tanks to look as if they are half-full of fluid, Joe?

Hey Daniel, 

I sprayed the bottle assy (which is a separate piece on this kit) with Tamiya Rattle Can White Primer. After that dried I masked off and painted the tanks with Model Master Acrylic International Orange. After the Orange had completely dried I sprayed Model Master Acrylic Flat Clear with a small drop of white mixed in and thinned with Model Master Acrylic paint thinner to make it look less like paint and more like the coolant was inside the reservoir.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 4

On 12/27/2022 at 2:20 PM, slusher said:

Great work on the engine bay Joe!   I been meaning to ask how your wife is doing buddy?

Sorry for the late reply Carl. 

Thanks for the kudos and my wife is doing well for the most part. She's been working full time since around 2 years ago but tires easily. To the casual observer she's back to 100% but I see things that no one else does. I do my very best to make her happy and to keep her in good spirits. That lady is a true testament to what God can do in the way of miracles.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, slusher said:

Excellent engine bay, I believe it would start, very realistic!

Thanks Carl! 

I messed around with the core support a little more and got it to move forward........some. Not perfect but I'm not going risk all the work that I've put into it up to now in fixing a minor blem.

Getting these panel inserts into the body is proving to be a tricky process. I'm having to thin out & slightly trim the edges of the outer inserts & headlight buckets as well as the lower grille to get them to fit in the recesses properly. 

Before:

spacer.png

and after:

spacer.png

I do like what AMT did with the outside rearview mirrors. They pretty much pinned the mirrors OOB:

spacer.png

and they fit pretty well once inserted into the holes. Maybe a little clean up but this is definitely a step in the right direction so the mirrors will stay in place when handling later.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long absence fellas. Work has placed alot of demands on me as well as things around my house to include my truck have taken up alot of my spare time. Bench time hasn't suffered much but my time here on the forums has. I managed to get the color coat on the body, hood and rear spoiler. Such a pretty coat too and THEN.....I accidentally knocked the body over and it fell out of the drying booth and onto bottles/ tools and everything else below. 

Welp.....there aint a thing I can do but wait a few days for everything to cure out and wet sand the affected areas and march on. Man....it was looking THAT good too. 

Passengers side along with the roof line and R/H front on that same side took the hits. I've found a darker primer to use once I get the affected areas wet sanded and smoothed out. Then it'll go in the paint booth again to get it all straighted out.

Drivers side turned out like a dream aside from the far left hand corner up front. Stay tuned......I'll get it all ironed out.

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks......alot has taken place since the last update but I've made some good progress with this one after a few weeks of wet sanding, priming, and reshooting paint on the affected areas, decaling, glossing the whole thing and then wet sanding and another gloss coat and finally polishing. It's progressing but not as fast as I'd like. The good news is that I'm happy with the results.

aDp0xx.jpg

U2zcWw.jpg

ZHSmLE.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. I was almost ready to call this one done and even had some glamour shots but I just didn't like how the headlight lenses came out. I cut both locator pins off but then found out that the headlight lenses were very thick causing them to give the front end a bug-eyed look when fitted. I ended up having to thin both lenses out and installing. They sat flush with the rest of the grille area but weren't wide enough for the headlight openings. 

J9mR2a.jpg

First, I removed both headlight buckets from their cavities in the nose of the car. Then I corrected the lenses by applying a light coat of semi-gloss black and putting a coat of Wet Look Clear over them......and now after two days of cure out.....installed without the buckets behind them so they'd sit a little recessed into the nose. IMO this really is a MUCH better look anyway. Just gives it a more aggressive look and took care of the incomplete lenses as well as the mounting tab issues that would've shown through the lenses had I left them in place and had decided on going the clear route. I'll be posting the updated glamour shots soon. Here's where we are as of now.

auHfWa.jpg

Mur4gH.jpg