Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg F-150 Flareside 4x4

Smoke Wagon

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I believe the '61 Impala came out first, then this truck. The '67 Olds and '66 Impala along with the '53 Ford came in 1997 & 1998. 

Oh yes, I remember now, visiting a hobby shop in Grand Junction Co. picking up that kit wondering if it was the corrected version or not.

The '66, you probably meant the Chevelle.

Edited by Luc Janssens

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

At least it wasn't like the original Revell 1934 Ford 3W Coupe Buttera series kit, where they cobbled together a 1/24th Scale Monogram kit and photographed it for all the box art....TB 

Not true. The boxart on on that kit looks nothing like the Monogram kit.

h-1337.jpg.4b20e9dcf3a1f8f4f5dd4697ff29a66d.jpg

That's an old wives tale.

15 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Not true.

That's an old wives tale.

I'm the wife, and all I can say is "au contraire".  I studied this very closely back in the day before I made that statement in print.  The box art on on that kit looks nothing like the Revell body in the kit, and at the time the Monogram '34 was the only accurate basis for a heavily kitbashed box art model conversion.   In retrospect, about 45 years later, always the chance I could have been wrong, but I don't think so.  TB   

Edited by tim boyd

All one has to do is look at the roof to know it's not the Monogram '34. Then there's the louvered trunk and filler panel at the rear with the recessed plate. The louvered hood. 

Rev-H-1427-4.jpg.a755175e12fc5775710868f99ea1a8b3.jpg

images.jpeg.c78b3d781694b448d5eb921451b4b94d.jpeg

The independent suspensions front and rear. The only things that favor a Monogram '34 are the retouched grille and headlights. There's no confusing the rest.

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

All one has to do is look at the roof to know it's not the Monogram '34. Then there's the louvered trunk and filler panel at the rear with the recessed plate. The louvered hood. 

Rev-H-1427-4.jpg.a755175e12fc5775710868f99ea1a8b3.jpg

images.jpeg.c78b3d781694b448d5eb921451b4b94d.jpeg

The independent suspensions front and rear. The only things that favor a Monogram '34 are the retouched grille and headlights. There's no confusing the rest.

Roger, I'm not going to engage on this.  Of course the chassis was adapted from the Buttera tool.  My comments referred to the body of the box art model.  But thanks for your response.   TB

• Thanks 1

Back on topic.

I seem to remember from the All New Ford Pickup issue of SAE that compared all of these kits, that some wheel swapping was needed for a truly accurate Factory Stock build. The wheels needed for the 4x4 were wrong in the kit, but were actually offered as an option in another tooling.

Or I could be badly mistaken. 

:)

It happens more often than I care to admit these days.....

On 10/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, stavanzer said:

Back on topic.

I seem to remember from the All New Ford Pickup issue of SAE that compared all of these kits, that some wheel swapping was needed for a truly accurate Factory Stock build. The wheels needed for the 4x4 were wrong in the kit, but were actually offered as an option in another tooling.

Or I could be badly mistaken. 

:)

It happens more often than I care to admit these days.....

The wheels on the Lindberg kit are correct for a 4x4 with the off-road package, otherwise it would have the wheels from the AMT snap kit.

Edit: I cracked open this kit as my next project and I do admire their multi-part approach for a lot of parts to eliminate open voids as well as to give more detail. A couple negatives I found though are they don't have separate differential covers, so there is a seam through them, and the door panels are molded to the interior tub which means minimal detail there (they do have separate grab handles though which helps a bit).

Edited by Jordan White
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'd Be Happy To See a Reissue of this kit. It is a good kit missing the window trim is really the only downside. That and the engine builds kinda weird but that doesn't bother me. I used it to build a replica of the truck I had in High School only to roll it 8 months after buying it. To make my 2000 I had to use a Revell Lightning front end that I had to modify to match the 99+ Nose the wheels and tires were also pulled from a Revell kit and the bed cover is from the Testors? purple diecast with black flames. I miss that truck but boy was it rotted when I got it but as a first vehicle it was awesome. I mudded it almost every day and it kept ticking even after ending up on it's roof. I would definitely buy another Lindberg F150.

387193695_ChuckMiniFront.jpg.ccae07f086d91ba7ab8873068167db2d.jpg1614726208_ChuckMiniSide.jpg.2d98de01bf9af024e900a5d0e5d2f5bf.jpg1590852212_ChuckMiniRear.jpg.4474308c633643b610977b5f078df98a.jpg

1773620694_ChuckandRiv.jpg.1edf3ec567060cf2bbc392ed5054d593.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...