Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

4 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Oh sure, blame me!!! J/K, I'm already looking at options. I'm surprised that the rules forbid Model A wire wheels. I wonder why that is? -RRR

I'm not sure. Going through photos of racers throughout the years, there are definitely wire wheels. I'm not an expert enough to know exactly what type of wire wheel each contestant is running. Perhaps truck?

TROG_038.jpg.7d44eeacdc67a1e6df7c430cced16ee6.jpg

5 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

...I'm surprised that the rules forbid Model A wire wheels. I wonder why that is? -RRR

I'd guess that, 'cause it's a drag event, the propensity for tearing the centers out of the old wire wheels isn't something to be encouraged.

Original Model A wheels, both the '28-'29 version and the '30-'31 version, are prone to cracking the center hub.

Improper installation on drums not originally designed for A wires can also aggravate the hub cracking problem.

Just as an aside, I built a client Stag with a 365 horse smallblock Chebby, and the first time I nailed it (not even a clutch-dump), it destroyed one rear wire wheel...and those were OEM production wires made in the 1970s.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've got this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Lakes-Drag-Strips-American/dp/0760312168/ref=sr_1_11?crid=H18MSSWASSIJ&keywords=dean+batchelor&qid=1666701571&sprefix=dean+batchelor%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-11

Dean Batchelor. "Dry Lakes & Drag Strips"

Lots of photos, and some great info, about how the cars were built, who built them, and what the Dry lake & 1940s-1950s So Cal Car Culture was like.

• Like 2

Guess I should join in on this, might get me out of a slump, when I got it the top had been cut off and the A post missing, I made some up the best I could, they still need work as do the window openings, we'll see!!

004.jpg.251807a0c41398b69207657da2b0960b.jpg

009.jpg.5c65a9255a2705a069151b5267de19ef.jpg

I may be wrong but the ban of A wheels may have to do with some saftey standard??

Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I've got this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Lakes-Drag-Strips-American/dp/0760312168/ref=sr_1_11?crid=H18MSSWASSIJ&keywords=dean+batchelor&qid=1666701571&sprefix=dean+batchelor%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-11

Dean Batchelor. "Dry Lakes & Drag Strips"

Lots of photos, and some great info, about how the cars were built, who built them, and what the Dry lake & 1940s-1950s So Cal Car Culture was like.

A great book. Several books by Don Montgomery if you can find them. So is "Hop Up: The First Twelve Issues".

... and Ace-Garageguy.Ā 

Well, so far for this build, I've gotten the 29 Roadster and the Roadster Chassis Speed Equipment pack from Atlantis.

Going with a flathead. Not sure about the build, thinking I might go with the tubular front axle and solid radius rods or maybe the opposite extreme with the dropped axle from The Parts Box.

Still need to get ahold of a 40 Ford Standard Coupe at a decent price...20221026_115254.jpg.6e8b10b15dabb2b306c42c3c4797efb9.jpg

Ā 

Rules Question.

Are the 5 spoke mags in the Revell '29 Rat Rod eligible to run in this Contest?

As far as I can tell, they were tooled in the 1960's when this kit was first new. It looks like the rest of the kit fits all the Entry Rules, for a Banger.

29 Ford 3 'n 1 Rat Rod, Revell 85-2348 (2001)

Perfect for the Banger class... and actually thought of using that with the 29 roadster instead of going with the flathead...

As for the mags, my gut says "no". Even with the more moderate rules for the Cali instead of NJ class of ohv. It seems clear that 1960 is the cut off. And for some of the other classes it even looks like '53 is.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Are the 5 spoke mags in the Revell '29 Rat Rod eligible to run in this Contest?

Ā 

46 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

...As for the mags, my gut says "no". Even with the more moderate rules for the Cali instead of NJ class of ohv. It seems clear that 1960 is the cut off. And for some of the other classes it even looks like '53 is.

IIRC, Halibrand made the first widely available "mag" wheels around '49, followed by Romeo Palimedes in about '56 (some refs say '59, but I'm almost certain I have a '56 Hot Rod magazine with Palamides wheels advertised), who morphed into American.

American introduced the classic 5-spoke Torque Thrust in 1963.

Here's some alloy wheel history:

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/halibrand_-_the_history_and_the_future_of_the_original_mag_wheel_company/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/halibrand-wheels-the-original-mag.1055968/

http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

These old school Halibrand smooth centers were available in 1950, I believe, and you can find some in the ancient AMT "Double Dragster" kit.

History - Halibrand Wheels: The Original Mag | The H.A.M.B.

The Halibrand "kidney beans", on the convertible Kurtis, came on line somewhere in the early '50s too.

History - Halibrand Wheels: The Original Mag | The H.A.M.B.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

I have no issue being wrong! I love learning new material and since I wasn't around in '48-'53 all I can do is go by research. Thanks.

CharlesĀ 

I believe you're right.

Those 5-spokes in the kit box photo look like Torque Thrusts, but could possibly be "kidney beans". I really can't tell for sure, and I don't have that kit here to check.

Vintage Torque Thrust 14x6 5x4.5 - Taz Wheels

Anyway, if they're Torque Thrusts, they didn't hit the market until 1963. There were other "mags" available earlier, but not anything like that.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

• Calb56 changed the title to Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread