Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

On 1/21/2024 at 11:34 AM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Finally finished mine just this past Friday night. I started with the Revell '29 Ford (2015 issue) and combined various kit bashing, parts box, PE, resin, 3D print etc. 

TROG1.jpg.5f06946d27794bfb1ac42be07da62ddd.jpgTROG10.jpg.0e245a9533b120f5afdc1f2268ae1d3c.jpgTROG9.jpg.104894a2fa695166010cbc722cab9f36.jpgTROG8.jpg.edadd526dc02f4a0f675168bca8bb578.jpgTROG7.jpg.a48fe2884567c35241431f3a6593e430.jpgTROG6.jpg.84e2c24565b7afd880d0e5cf0d693b4c.jpgTROG5.jpg.3fb9da8e3fe5468089de94fa040aa185.jpgTROG4.jpg.17ebde37c0285091aad7b059924108f8.jpgTROG3.jpg.4a8d3542f8130f3b23844935ff1bc77f.jpgTROG2.jpg.ddbdde7a596e7219657d924ab3b093fb.jpg

For those so inclined, here is the link to the build folder. https://public.fotki.com/machman/in_progress_model_cars/29-ford-trog/

• Bolide Plastics (Now VCG Resins) motor with Jiggler heads
  • Roth Outlaw Transmission
  • R&M Dipstick, Resin bomber seat with 3D printed seat cushion
  • Skirts cut/modified from AMT body
  • Frame modified from Revell '29 Ford pickup kit with modified crossmember and transmission mounts, relocated friction shock mounting points etc.
  • Front springs cut/lowered with modified hairpins 
  • Narrowed rear axle from Roth Outlaw mated to parts box differential
  • Rear Springs lowered/modified and "taped" per old racer pics (not seen in these pics, but visible in build folder)
  • Scratched the rear inner wheel arches
  • PE Radiator (using the Mark Batson instructions)
  • Cut open the grill and install mesh screen
  • Aluminum rod rollbar
  • VCG Resins Tiki head shift knob
  • various PE, Mastercraft resin nut/bolt heads throughout, wired/plumbed etc. 

A Smith Jiggler!

What a great Choice, and a rare engine.

I don't see your source of wheels/tires listed.

Would you mind sharing where you got them?

Cheers, Alan Alexis

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

A Smith Jiggler!

What a great Choice, and a rare engine.

I don't see your source of wheels/tires listed.

Would you mind sharing where you got them?

Cheers, Alan Alexis

Thanks Alan, 

The rims are resin from either VSG Resins, or Iceman Collections as I have bought from very few others over time. I apologize that I do not recall the exact source as I usually put things in my parts/wheels bins without the labels. I did just check both sites, and while Iceman does have a version of artillery wheels currently, they are not the same and they do have center caps, where I had to pull these from the parts bin. I think Iceman's current version is great, and very reasonably priced. 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:34 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Finally finished mine just this past Friday night. I started with the Revell '29 Ford (2015 issue) and combined various kit bashing, parts box, PE, resin, 3D print etc. 

TROG9.jpg.104894a2fa695166010cbc722cab9f36.jpg

For those so inclined, here is the link to the build folder. https://public.fotki.com/machman/in_progress_model_cars/29-ford-trog/

• Frame modified from Revell '29 Ford pickup kit with modified crossmember and transmission mounts, relocated friction shock mounting points etc.
  • Rear Springs lowered/modified and "taped" per old racer pics (not seen in these pics, but visible in build folder)
  • Aluminum rod rollbar

There isn't a single thing that I don't absolutely love about this! Fantastic model! Great work, Mark!

On 1/21/2024 at 8:34 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

TROG1.jpg.5f06946d27794bfb1ac42be07da62ddd.jpgTROG10.jpg.0e245a9533b120f5afdc1f2268ae1d3c.jpgTROG9.jpg.104894a2fa695166010cbc722cab9f36.jpgTROG8.jpg.edadd526dc02f4a0f675168bca8bb578.jpgTROG7.jpg.a48fe2884567c35241431f3a6593e430.jpgTROG6.jpg.84e2c24565b7afd880d0e5cf0d693b4c.jpgTROG5.jpg.3fb9da8e3fe5468089de94fa040aa185.jpgTROG4.jpg.17ebde37c0285091aad7b059924108f8.jpgTROG3.jpg.4a8d3542f8130f3b23844935ff1bc77f.jpgTROG2.jpg.ddbdde7a596e7219657d924ab3b093fb.jpg

• Aluminum rod rollbar

I love everything about this build, love the picture whit the hand also.

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

There isn't a single thing that I don't absolutely love about this! Fantastic model! Great work, Mark!

TY  for the very kind words. I almost gave up on this one, as I intended to have it completed for the final GSL. I did get the fuel lines installed after the pics...too quick top pull it off the bench, DOH

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

TY  for the very kind words. I almost gave up on this one, as I intended to have it completed for the final GSL. I did get the fuel lines installed after the pics...too quick top pull it off the bench, DOH

That kind of stuff will happen!😂 Seriously, though--it's super-cool!

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Well, since i never even started my 2023 build, I'm in for 2024 😋

Are we going to continue this Race of Gentlemen group build this year ( 2024 ) ?

Perhaps we need to start a new topic for 2024 just to add a degree of separation. 

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Are we going to continue this Race of Gentlemen group build this year ( 2024 ) ?

Perhaps we need to start a new topic for 2024 just to add a degree of separation. 

If there is a want and desire to continue with a "The Race of Gentlemen" for 2024 I will volunteer to create a new topic and oversee it BUT I don't want to hijack @Calb56's original topic by creating a new one. 

Might even be able to instigate a bit of interest with the Youtube model car community group build crowd. 

I did bit more reading on "The Race of Gentlemen" as I didn't know much about it and I am still trying to piece bits together.  Started in New Jersey but there have been offshoots in Milwaukee and Santa Barbara so I am not sure where the original topic started with a reference to California - there must be something I am missing unless it was just Charles' putting his own twist on this  this community group build to make it uniquely his own. 

Do speak up. Let me know what direction this should go.

cheers, Graham

3 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

If there is a want and desire to continue with a "The Race of Gentlemen" for 2024 I will volunteer to create a new topic and oversee it BUT I don't want to hijack @Calb56's original topic by creating a new one. 

Might even be able to instigate a bit of interest with the Youtube model car community group build crowd. 

I did bit more reading on "The Race of Gentlemen" as I didn't know much about it and I am still trying to piece bits together.  Started in New Jersey but there have been offshoots in Milwaukee and Santa Barbara so I am not sure where the original topic started with a reference to California - there must be something I am missing unless it was just Charles' putting his own twist on this  this community group build to make it uniquely his own. 

Do speak up. Let me know what direction this should go.

cheers, Graham

Graham,

It'd be great if you took this over. This was originally based on the races TRoG held at Flabob and here's a link to the classes then (2023).

https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/race-entry-ca

Unfortunately soon after I initiated this group build last year, it lost momentum because of my lack of participation. A couple of family crisis' arose and my focus shifted to my wife and then my job.

I'd love to see this resurrected and to be a participant. 

Charles Erickson 

• Thanks 1

Charles,

Thank you kindly for comments and your blessing.

I will go forward then and create a new (soon) community group build topic closely following your intent when you created the initial topic and see where that journey takes us.

27 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

TRoG held at Flabob

That's the piece of the puzzle I hadn't yet stumbled upon!  Thank you for the clue.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

Some very, very cool work still going on in this thread.  Personally, I encourage all of you to keep going regardless of an expiration of community build completion date.  Onward!  TB   

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 3:49 PM, Ulf said:

Bad photo, slow progress but it is moving again after a six-month hiatus when I was too stressed to work on this project. Plasticard and putty. The Moon tank is an AMT from 1962, tooling has developed but I had an nice hour working on it.

IMG_7583.jpeg.b70c14889fc530a7f3033ec03512bdc2.jpegIMG_7571.jpeg.412b3f36eee4ee7babd991419cfb9082.jpeg

Ulf....among some, in fact, many very cool projects shown in this thread, yours is the one that has my most current interest level very high.  Any progress since your last post that you could share with us?    Best....TIM 

@tim boyd and others, after a bit of discussion it was thought that this community group build theme might be best carried over in a new topic for 2024 for which I volunteered to oversee and have created  a new topic to carry this theme forward

Any uncompleted builds from this topic ( 2023 ) can be carried on in the new topic at the builders choice. 

cheers, Graham

34 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Ulf....among some, in fact, many very cool projects shown in this thread, yours is the one that has my most current interest level very high.  Any progress since your last post that you could share with us?    Best....TIM 

Hi Tim

Thanks for your encouraging message, it really came at the right time, our cat is a bit poorly.
Regarding my project, I have been working on some details that are not visible in the little time I have had for modelling. I should have retired a week ago but I was asked (flatteringly) to work for another three months. I have also started my own WIP 
https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/187992-ford-34-a-street-hot-rod-who-did-not-reach-the-finish-line/
but due to work and a cat it has been put on hold. What have I done then?
I have fit the steering column, seat, roll bar, headers and painted the body inside. In addition to this, I have fitted the 32nd masking to the radiator and the job that I am dreading a bit is to remove a crossbar on the frame and build a new injection.

In my new life situation (retired), modelling (in daylight) will be a natural part of life.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ulf said:

Hi Tim

Thanks for your encouraging message, it really came at the right time, our cat is a bit poorly.
Regarding my project, I have been working on some details that are not visible in the little time I have had for modelling. I should have retired a week ago but I was asked (flatteringly) to work for another three months. I have also started my own WIP 
https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/187992-ford-34-a-street-hot-rod-who-did-not-reach-the-finish-line/
but due to work and a cat it has been put on hold. What have I done then?
I have fit the steering column, seat, roll bar, headers and painted the body inside. In addition to this, I have fitted the 32nd masking to the radiator and the job that I am dreading a bit is to remove a crossbar on the frame and build a new injection.

In my new life situation (retired), modelling (in daylight) will be a natural part of life.

Ulf....thanks for the link; checked it out and lookin' good!  Interesting story about being asked to stay another three months past retirement date.   Same thing happened to me, after 35 years they asked me to stay another six months.  We compromised at three months plus extra $$.  Was the right thing to do, congrats on doing the same too on your end and on your new retirement.  I just passed the ten year mark (after retirement) myself and I still don't have as much modeling time as I had expected.  But still the way to go. 

Anyway, keep up the great work (when you have the time) and looking forward to your updates as they occur...TB 

7 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

@tim boyd and others, after a bit of discussion it was thought that this community group build theme might be best carried over in a new topic for 2024 for which I volunteered to oversee and have created  a new topic to carry this theme forward

Any uncompleted builds from this topic ( 2023 ) can be carried on in the new topic at the builders choice. 

cheers, Graham

Graham...thanks for the reply.  Just noticed your new thread the other day and will be following there from now on....best....TIM  

• Like 1