Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

I haven't had this kit for over a decade but I love it! Anyway here is the instruction page with the mags on it. Some sort of 5 spoke. I might get it just for the hood for this build...

Revell29Ford3n1RatRod005-vi.jpg.3083d7d8c903b100d9a7c49e7a9ed732.jpg

Edited by Calb56
Added last thought
  • Like 1

i have 5 of these kits. The Woodie or the Sedan are the better kit to have if you want period " Speed Parts".

It has the Overhead Cam Head and related Parts. The Head in the Pickup is a Winfield Head. I prefer the OHC Head, but the Woodie/Sedan kit is harder to Find Right Now. The Rest of the Speed Parts (Carbs, Manifold, Exhausts) are shared between the kits. Only the Heads are different. There is a nice 'Zoomie" exhaust on the chrome tree, that is not referenced in the instructions.

I'm thinking a Fenderless pickup with the track nose, '32 Ford Wire Wheels, and Skinny Tires. 

Edited by stavanzer

11 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Thanks, Bill.

I'll find some other wheels.

Probably the Steelies, as my second choice. Or, AMT '32 Ford Wire Wheels.

If you want some cool, period-looking steel wheels, the Ford "wide fives" are some of my favorites. 

They were OEM on '35-'39 (check me on that) Fords, and the drums they bolt to can be fitted with '39 and later Ford hydraulic brakes.

They're in the AMT '36 Ford kits, but the tooling isn't the greatest, especially with its age now, but Casey makes a gorgeous set in resin.

Technical - Running Wide 5 Ford Rims | The H.A.M.B.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

They're in the AMT '36 Ford kits, but the tooling isn't the greatest, especially with its age now, but Casey makes a gorgeous set in resin.

Technical - Running Wide 5 Ford Rims | The H.A.M.B.

Got a Link to Casey's wheels?

Or, would the Wheels from the Revell 37 Ford Trucks work? I have a spare set of those floating around somewhere......

12 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Got a Link to Casey's wheels?

Or, would the Wheels from the Revell 37 Ford Trucks work? I have a spare set of those floating around somewhere......

Casey's:     https://www.ebay.com/itm/265501103915?hash=item3dd119572b:g:FAIAAOSwdkxh4b25

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265501107382?hash=item3dd11964b6:g:hxkAAOSwTtFh4cHZ

Yes, the '37 Ford trucks are wide-fives, but I believe they have molded in hubcaps.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Casey's:     https://www.ebay.com/itm/265501103915?hash=item3dd119572b:g:FAIAAOSwdkxh4b25

Yes, the '37 Ford trucks are wide-fives, but I believe they have molded in hubcaps.

The Stock wheels have separate hub caps , but no bolt or hub detail, so you would need to use the caps.

(which I might do, if I use those wheels.)

Thanks for the Link!! 

Bill, first versions of Revell Instruction sheets call the "American Racing" Mags. But, I think that may not be correct. The illustrations do not look like what is in the kit now.

CCI07242009 00006

Think They may be Hallibrands, as shown in the Woodie / Sedan instructions.

File9

29 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Bill, first versions of Revell Instruction sheets call the "American Racing" Mags. But, I think that may not be correct. The illustrations do not look like what is in the kit now.

Think They may be Hallibrands, as shown in the Woodie / Sedan instructions...

I turned out to have three versions of the little pickup here, an early one molded in blue, the Sundance in orange, and a later Goodguys version. They all have 5-spoke sorta Americans, but the earlier two have much thinner spokes. 

I don't have the 3-in-one ratrod version here to check.

The woody kits that had optional wheels, and the earlier sedans, came with unusual Halibrands, below, that were dealer options on Studebaker in the '60s.

Hawk w/ Halibrands | '62 Studebaker Hawk GT with Halibrand W… | Flickr

• Thanks 1

RE the wheels in the 3-in-1 ratrod kit: they're early Torque Thrusts, more or less (edit: so mid-60s and not really TROG material). Larger diameter than the AMT TT wheels (as are most of the Revell wheels from kits of that era).

The wheels in the Revell Sedan are totally different; they're Halibrands of the sort mentioned above (Studebaker dealer option) but they lack any lug nut detail.

Edited by Spex84
  • Thanks 1

I was playing with the '21 Oldsmobile (Beverly Hillbillies), but realized that it has Spoke Wheels. I may try to find some bigger Wires for it, as it would not look right with the smaller Ford Wheels.

But, I think the Revell '29 or '31 Model A is going to be my entry. 98% of a Banger Beach Cruiser is in the box already. This kit, and the AMT '29 Model A Roadster are both great starting points for a T.R.o.G. build.

Here's my entry for the build, the Revell 30 coupe with the 312 from the Revell 57 Fairlane wagon gasser. I'm going to switch the modern four barrel carbs for the teapots from the Fairlane and might add the centrifugal supercharger if there's room. I got the steel wheels from the Revell Fairlane drag car and will probably use the rear tires from the 30 since this is a sand race.

The plan is to use the channeled interior and maybe move the front axle in front of the radiator. The modern rear end will be swapped out for one of Chris's quick change units and the 312 will get some of his headers and valve covers. I might take a few more inches out of the top too if I get ambitious. 

20221026_202307.thumb.jpg.65d841ffa041a0404ecf11c1f19f7cbe.jpg

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Here's my entry for the build, the Revell 30 coupe with the 312 from the Revell 57 Fairlane wagon gasser. I'm going to switch the modern four barrel carbs for the teapots from the Fairlane and might add the centrifugal supercharger if there's room. I got the steel wheels from the Revell Fairlane drag car and will probably use the rear tires from the 30 since this is a sand race.

The plan is to use the channeled interior and maybe move the front axle in front of the radiator. The modern rear end will be swapped out for one of Chris's quick change units and the 312 will get some of his headers and valve covers. I might take a few more inches out of the top too if I get ambitious. 

20221026_202307.thumb.jpg.65d841ffa041a0404ecf11c1f19f7cbe.jpg

This sounds like it's going to be a cool entry!

On 10/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Calb56 said:

Entries will begin Nov.1 and the build will run until Dec. 8 2023 with a post for the drags being posted Dec. 9 2023 for all the finished cars...

Have fun!!!

Count me in for an AMT bodied '29 Highboy lakes racer on Deuce rails, probably Flathead powered, but maybe a 4-banger. I won't get to it immediately because I have other things going, but it should surface before the year is out and the 1 year window is more than enough time. Thanks for starting this.

Meanwhile here's a '29 A 4-banger I built that won the TROG Theme award at the 2018 NNL West (it's exceedingly rare for me to win a prize in anything. LOL...):

TROG-1-Prize-Summary-Web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Count me in for an AMT bodied '29 Highboy lakes racer on Deuce rails, probably Flathead powered, but maybe a 4-banger. I won't get to it immediately because I have other things going, but it should surface before the year is out and the 1 year window is more than enough time. Thanks for starting this.

Meanwhile here's a '29 A 4-banger I built that won the TROG Theme award at the 2018 NNL West (it's exceedingly rare for me to win a prize in anything. LOL...):

TROG-1-Prize-Summary-Web.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your entry!

So, only Starvanzer responded directly but reading through the thread this is the unofficial roll call so far.

Ace-Garageguy:  full fendered A V8

Bernard Kron: 29 Highboy 

Bismarck: ???

Fat Brian: 30 Ford 312 V8

Rocking Rodney Rat: Stripped down T Frame?

Starvanzer: 29 Ford and 21 Oldsmobile 

Thatz4U: has steelies, flathead and parts

Tom Geiger: ?

Vintage AMT: 32 3 Window?

Calb56: 29 Ford flathead

I'm looking forward to this, I'm still gathering parts, doing research and planning...have fun racers!!!

Edited by Calb56

I went ahead and got one of the more involved mods I was planning out of the way first. I took about more 2mm out of Revell's rather conservative chop. There's just something about 30 five windows with aggressive chops, if I wasn't also channeling this car I might have taken it down even more.

20221106_012518.jpg.239c665ec0767cbf3416561c425d9432.jpg

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I went ahead and got one of the more involved mods I was planning out of the way first. I took about more 2mm out of Revell's rather conservative chop. There's just something about 30 five windows with aggressive chops, if I wasn't also channeling this car I might have taken it down even more.

20221106_012518.jpg.239c665ec0767cbf3416561c425d9432.jpg

Looks great!

• Calb56 changed the title to Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread